Always the same kind of WU

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Always the same kind of WU

Post by spookmineer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:25 pm

After reading this in the "TSC Russia" thread:
aristide1 wrote:Yuck, where did these 1329 pointers come from? :x
I wonder...

Since I installed the SMP client, all I ever get are 1760 point WU's.

My command line is:
"D:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\fah.exe" -local -advmethods -verbosity 9

I'm using an AMD X2 5200+.

I've got a few questions:
- Is there a way to get other types of WU's?
- Does the command line restrict me from getting other types of WU's? (I think I got the command line from the beginners guide here, saying this is optimal for an AMD setup but I'm not sure anymore, it's been a while)
- Should I even want other types of WU's or is this kind (gromacs) the most optimal for my setup?

*looks at aristide1 for help*

100fuegos

Post by 100fuegos » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:12 pm

Copy and paste what I just wrote a couple of hours ago somewhere else:
No way to get 256x’s WU

Ok the situation is this, if I run my dual SMP console from my usb Kubuntu installation as I usually do I only get 306*’s WU that takes a lot more time to complete yet gain less points resulting in a PPD decrease of nearly 1200. It’s been like this the whole last week. This morning for the sake of it I shutted down the computer and pluged a standard hard drive with an installation of Windows XP Pro that I every now and then use to test estability and try some overclock combinations in that same computer, fired up the two SMP console and bang two fresh 2653 WU. The only difference is SMPLinux is V 6.xx and WinSMP is V 5.xx other than that everything is the same, same computer, same config files everything. Any explanation?

I think as soon as I finish this WU I am working on I am going to change back to WinSMP to increase my PPD production.

I am not saying WinSMP gets more PPD than LinuxSMP, but the 265x’s WU that I get with WinSMP are better than the 306x’s that I’ve been fedding with in my Kubuntu X64 USB.

Any help / explanation would be appreciated.

Sheers everyone
Those 265x's are 1760 pointers WU, they are the best in PPD production, get a 3065 and you will cry out loud, trust me.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

100fuegos

Post by 100fuegos » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks for the wellcome, I've been a lurker for some time, then I registeresd and finally posted today.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Always the same kind of WU

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:26 pm

spookmineer wrote:Since I installed the SMP client, all I ever get are 1760 point WU's.
I'm not 100% on any of my PCs, even my C2D has gotten a 1500 pointer on rare occasion.
spookmineer wrote:*looks at aristide1 for help*
I didn't know anybody could help, I thought you get what you get.
Last edited by aristide1 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks for the replies.

So, just to be sure, I don't have to "worry" about only getting 1760 point WU's? The other types of WU's (with different points) are not beneficial to me in PPD?
It's not that the command line excludes all other types of WU's?

Is it just "bad luck" if you get a non-1760 pointer? (it's just so weird, all approx. 85 WU's my PC has finished in SMP are 1760 pointers - all the same Gromacs, too: 2653).

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:40 pm

Perhaps some WUs that have expired on somebody's PC get priority and end up at the front of the line on whatever server is sending out the next WU? They take deadlines very seriously.

In fact they are re-evaluating how to give out points, and while they give 3 days to finish a 2653 they prefer to have them back within 24 hours, so don't be surprised if that happens.