Antec Mini P180: A micro-ATX P182

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:30 am

derekva wrote:Hey, Mike - I noticed one slight factual error in your description of the Mini P180 - you stated that the only other Antec mATX case with a separate PSU chamber is the NSK-3480. This is incorrect - the NSK-2480 is a mATX case with a separate PSU chamber. Granted it is in 'desktop' configuration rather than mini-tower, but it is still a mATX case with a separate PSU chamber. :D

-D

p.s. Please don't ban me.
true

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:24 pm

MikeC wrote:
Jordan wrote:I would have loved to have read the measurements and subjective conclusions on the top 200mm hooked up to a viable resistor and set to its lowest start-up voltage. Though I realise this can vary from fan to fan.

Don't suppose there's any chance of this. Please? :lol:
ok, ok.... [grumble, grumble] see the last page.
A big thank you, Mike :)

I think I'll be replacing my P180 with this as the case is just too damned big. It will mean I have to get a new mATX mobo but ho-hum. I'll probably just stick with a 120mm Nexus undervolted if that fan is still quite chattery.

derekva

Post by derekva » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:33 pm

MikeC wrote:
derekva wrote:Hey, Mike - I noticed one slight factual error in your description of the Mini P180 - you stated that the only other Antec mATX case with a separate PSU chamber is the NSK-3480. This is incorrect - the NSK-2480 is a mATX case with a separate PSU chamber. Granted it is in 'desktop' configuration rather than mini-tower, but it is still a mATX case with a separate PSU chamber. :D

-D

p.s. Please don't ban me.
true
Thanks for updating the article. :wink:

Now, if Noctua would only make a 200mm fan...one can dream.

-D

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Is already on NewEgg... I remember seeing this during CES... was pretty nice. I am kind of weary though about the price... the P182 can be had for $100...

nevertheless i still want one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 180%2bmini

mg1394

The two drive cages

Post by mg1394 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:52 am

Can they be interchanged as to which is upper and lower?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: The two drive cages

Post by MikeC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:09 pm

mg1394 wrote:Can they be interchanged as to which is upper and lower?
No, different sizes & tracks.

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi I think there's a small error in the second postscript:
If the fan is set to *medium*, then just one volt drop to 11V brings us to 230RPM.
Shouldn't that read *low* ? I was just a little confused looking at the table and then reading that sentence.

Great article, I wish more sites were as objective and would use as much common sense as you do.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Mescalero wrote:Hi I think there's a small error in the second postscript:
If the fan is set to *medium*, then just one volt drop to 11V brings us to 230RPM.
Shouldn't that read *low* ? I was just a little confused looking at the table and then reading that sentence.

Great article, I wish more sites were as objective and would use as much common sense as you do.
Yes, it should be low; corrected. Thanks for your positive comments. :)

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi, Mike.

Another terrific article, and further proof that objectivity is not dead on the internet (yet). (I'm still trying to put my head around where the Ninja will fit in in the future, but I'm also really, really glad that you brought up the issue of late. I'm not sure other sites might have done the same.)

If a reader were to purchase this case and wanted to make the fans more silent with a fanbus, would there be room between the front panel and the 5.25" drive bays to close the door? If not a larger Zalman 5.25" then maybe a small Vantec/Nexus 3.5"?

Please continue the excellent reviews.

Best regards,
--Dave

p.s.--Minor typo, I think, in the second sentence of the second picture's caption on page 5, where "there's one inch of space between the fan at the partition wall above it" might better read with "and" replacing "at."

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:41 am

Excellent article. I'd just like to make you aware of a certain mATX mobo with SLI. Granted, it's an old Socket 939 nForce4 design (no longer available?), but it exists. :lol:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:51 am

tempeteduson wrote:Excellent article. I'd just like to make you aware of a certain mATX mobo with SLI. Granted, it's an old Socket 939 nForce4 design (no longer available?), but it exists. :lol:
Ah, so! Good find. I wonder if there are uptodate dual-PCIe16x slot mATX boards?

BTW, I did a doublecheck on the optical drive depth needed to fit one into the top bay. 170mm or shorter will work, and 170mm is not that hard to find. So I was wrong about being forced to use this case on the desktop due to optical drives only fitting on the bottom. :oops:

The article has been updated with this info & a pic (on page 5)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:55 am

answered my own question, re - uptodate dual-PCIe16x slot mATX boards: A search on Newegg for Intel or AMD mATX boards with 2 PCIe16x slots turned up nothing at all. No conclusive.... but not promising.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 am

MikeC wrote:
tempeteduson wrote:Excellent article. I'd just like to make you aware of a certain mATX mobo with SLI. Granted, it's an old Socket 939 nForce4 design (no longer available?), but it exists. :lol:
Ah, so! Good find. I wonder if there are uptodate dual-PCIe16x slot mATX boards?

BTW, I did a doublecheck on the optical drive depth needed to fit one into the top bay. 170mm or shorter will work, and 170mm is not that hard to find. So I was wrong about being forced to use this case on the desktop due to optical drives only fitting on the bottom. :oops:

The article has been updated with this info & a pic (on page 5)
I'm glad you made that error, it's always better to err on the side of caution. It's a lot easier for me to measure my existing drives than for me to order a case assuming it won't be an issue.

Kudos to you for mentioning the possibility of an issue and for giving the details to figure out if it applies to the potential customers.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Well done review.
but with the small motherboard in a larger sized case im curious who will endup using this thing.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:57 am

kittle wrote:Well done review.
but with the small motherboard in a larger sized case im curious who will endup using this thing.
Me. I don't care about the size, it's not like I would take it to LAN-parties or my rent would be affected by how large the case of my second PC is.

Got my lovely new P180 Mini today. I have no idea how I thought the frontpanel details were "chrome"colored, must be some old image with weird reflections that has burnt into my memory.

Anyway so far I'm very pleased with the case. I had earlier experience only of the original P180 and the cable management in the Mini and the P182 is just awesome. The cables of my PSU are a tad too short (4pin extra 12V had to be routed the shortest way), but other than that the assembly was very easy. The case also takes 8800GTS 512MB with the lower HDD cage on, but I'd say there really is room for only three HDDs.

The huge fan is pretty quiet, but I still dislike it as it can't really be replaced. I really hope that these huge fans will get more popular and that Nexus/Scythe/Noctua will start making replacements for the stock fans.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:36 am

hey everyone,

I had a question as I am considering downsizing from my P182 to a Mini P180... I plan on buying the ASUS motherboard listed here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131237 along with either a Scythe Ninja or a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme... can anyone tell me if that will fit in the mini P180? I dont wanna buy the parts and then find out later with everything installed that i can't stick on the side panel, haha...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:49 am

No reason why it wouldn't fit. The top fan is the only thing you'd have to worry about, and the CPU socket far enough from the edge so even a TRUE looks like it would fit w/o problem.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:27 am

oh ok. What I was trying to say was would the tall height of the Ultra 120 Extreme / Scythe Ninja be a problem :X, which is what i think you answered Mike...

"even a TRUE looks" = ??? i dont get it...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 am

acaurora wrote:"even a TRUE looks" = ??? i dont get it...
TRUE -- ThermalRightUltraExtreme

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:57 am

oh... haha. that's one way to abbreviate... lol

would you recommend i use a TRUE or one of the Ninjas (B or Copper...) ? I will be cooling a C2Q 6700.

Mon1018

Post by Mon1018 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Since size is quite the same, I think people would buy a P182 instead.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:52 pm

re: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article810-page7.html

you're killing me here, you did this great followup on the big fan at low rpm, but you didn't review it inside the case! It was like you left out the payoff! In vitro vs in vivo man, you've got to hit the important one :)

BeerParty
*Lifetime Patron*

Size of Antec Mini

Post by BeerParty » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 am

Mon1018 wrote:Since size is quite the same, I think people would buy a P182 instead.
Someone hasn't been paying attention :roll: :

Antec Mini P180 Dimensions: 17.1" x 8.3" x 17.2" (HxWxD)
Antec P182 Dimensions: 21.3'' x 8.1â€

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Found it at newegg for $80 shipped. Don't know if I want one but the price makes it hard to ignore - if only for a backup case. Amazing how some antec products just don't catch on.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 pm

Just last week or so it was on sale for around $110 but $20 shipping. The white version was on sale for about $125 with free shipping so actually cost less. It was a little tempting there. But $80 shipped, I couldn't help myself. I liked it since I first saw it but had this idea I was going to build a custom made case. Still hasn't happened and probably never will. So this will replace my old Dell Precision 410 case which will probably become my new server case.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:14 pm

You ask, "Who is this case for?" A better question might be "What is this case for?"
I just got one of these to house my WHS machine. It's close enough to perfect for me. A small footprint, oodles of drive bays, with decent airflow. As it's a Home Server box, it need not be near my immediate space. It may not be quiet enough for a desktop situation, but it's not all that bad either.

As for working within it's confines? It's a pleasure. This is one nicely crafted box.
I paired it with a Gigabyte MA74GM-2SH (AMD's die-shrunk 690 chipset w/ 6 SATA ports) with an AMD BE-2350.
Housing 5 drives and their cabling was a breeze - And I had a port leftover to feed the E-SATA. But here's the thing. Even though the mobo is tapped out, the case has room for a couple more drives.

With WHS, you need to be able to put some drives in the box. You don't need fire breathing horsepower (and cooling) You need drive bays. For a WHS box, it's tough to ask for a better product.

glow

Post by glow » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm

I think I'll get the quickiest reply from here...

The manual has error, it is misleading.

In the manual it says:
Connecting the USB Ports
You will find a single 10-pin connector on a cable attached to the front USB ports.
This Intel standard connector is keyed so that it can’t be accidentally reversed, as
long as it is connected to a proper Intel standard motherboard header. Connect the
10-pin connector to your motherboard headers so that the blocked pin fits over the
missing header pin.
Not true. There is 2 x 5min cable, it even has label "2.0 USB1" and second "2.0 USB2". So it should say two separata cables.

Am I right? I didn't have the guts to connect them since my mobo manual (GA-MA78GPM-DS2H" said that do not connect the 2 x 5 pin cable... but its for FireWire.

I want a confirmation that there is a typo in the manual.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:49 pm

glow wrote:I think I'll get the quickiest reply from here...

The manual has error, it is misleading.

In the manual it says:
Connecting the USB Ports
You will find a single 10-pin connector on a cable attached to the front USB ports.
This Intel standard connector is keyed so that it can’t be accidentally reversed, as
long as it is connected to a proper Intel standard motherboard header. Connect the
10-pin connector to your motherboard headers so that the blocked pin fits over the
missing header pin.
Not true. There is 2 x 5min cable, it even has label "2.0 USB1" and second "2.0 USB2". So it should say two separata cables.

Am I right? I didn't have the guts to connect them since my mobo manual (GA-MA78GPM-DS2H" said that do not connect the 2 x 5 pin cable... but its for FireWire.

I want a confirmation that there is a typo in the manual.
Can't say whether this type of hardware always stays the same in all cases. Chances are, it varies depending on suppliers/sources. In any case, the USB pin configuration of both 10-pin connectors (of which only 9 are usable and 8 actually wired) and 5-pin connectors (of which only 4 are wired) is the same. The sequence is black-green-white-red --- with the red wire on the last pin. Just check the motherboard manual carefully and compare it to the connectors before plugging it in. Comparing against the plug from a back-panel USB expansion port may also be helpful (such devices come bundled with motherboards.)

BuyUseReturn

Post by BuyUseReturn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Just wanted to share what I've done with my P180 mini regarding the 20cm ceiling exhaust:

On top, I've removed the entire plastic "racing stripes" frame, cut an appropriate sized hole in the mesh, and removed the x-shaped backplate for the 20cm fan.

The fan is attached with zip ties, the heads of which are larger than both the remaining mesh and the fan's screw holes. Above the fan is a silicon thing available from EndPCNoise, and below it, underneath the zip tie heads, are four rubber washers.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:53 pm

I have had a chance to have a close look at one of these now .
I absolutely hate the 200mm fan , the chevron shaped holes do not concern me . I found the case to be about the same size as a Sonata - very large for micro ATX . but it looks as though , with some modification that it could make a decent quiet build for a pretty hot quad core (in my case a Phenom ).
I am looking quite seriously at one of these as a replacement for a SUGO build that has gone sour due to the fact that it has mediocre ventilation (it runs quite cool with fans at full speed but is VERY noisy or it runs quiet with the fans slowed down but is hot enough to be unusable )
The Machine is hardly high end .
Asus M3N-VM , Phenom 9850 . 2 gig Kingston 1066 , Pioneer DVD burner , 2 x Samsung hard drives and an MSI GF 8800gt graphics card powered by an Antec Neo HE 500 power supply .
The mini 180 would keep this cool quietly - very easily . Only 3 things are holding me back from buying one right now (1) the 200 mm fan (2) the size of the case (3) the restriction on the length of the video card with the drive cage in .
I have a personal dislike for optical drive mounting rails but can live with them ( I have with my other Antec cases for many years .