can I unplug it and leave it?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

biscuit

can I unplug it and leave it?

Post by biscuit » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:27 am

Hey all! I thought there was an article somewhere around here about gpu cooling but I cannot find it now. At any rate, I just bought a 9600 pro and was wondering what ya'll think about just unplugging the onboard fan and using a zalman brackat/80mm for cooling instead? If I use the tip of my finger to stop the stock fan from spinning on the card, it makes a BIG difference noise-wise. Easy to unplug, but it doesn't appear easy to remove the fan from the sink and I really don't want to remove the sink itself, wondering if it'd be ok just to unplug fan and leave it attached?

ps: won't be doing any overclocking

biscuit

Post by biscuit » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:20 pm

Well, after some thought I went and removed both the fan and the heatsink. Replaced em with a zalman nb hs(One of those gold-colored ones) which looks like it was made for the 9600 heh. Little smidge of silver paste and it's all set. So now I'm wondering if I will even need the bracket and 80mm or not? This 9600 pro barely gets warm to the touch even after heavy gaming.

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:56 pm

you can try some gaming, leave your case open, and touch the heatsink after 10 minutes, if to hot, stop immediately, if not, try some more gaming...

But you'll definetly need some airflow when you close your case

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:04 pm

Here's how I test GPU cooling:

Run 3Dmark03 as a loop for an hour. If it makes it through that without crashing or artifacting, you're all set. No amount of gaming would stress the cooling as much as that benchmark will.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:03 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Here's how I test GPU cooling:

Run 3Dmark03 as a loop for an hour. If it makes it through that without crashing or artifacting, you're all set. No amount of gaming would stress the cooling as much as that benchmark will.
With the new power-hungry GPUs, it would be better to test stability and heat output with 3DMark instead of Prime or CPU-burn in case You do play with your system.

Jan