My noiseless watercooling system

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wdekler

My noiseless watercooling system

Post by wdekler » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:47 am

It started as a joke from a friend: why don't you install the radiator,fan & pump in the hallway closet?

As my computer is located next to a wall leading to the hallway, I decided to bite the bullet.

I bought an Inovatek set including 6 meters of water hose, I drilled some holes through the wall, neatly installed the fan, pump etc. etc.

Everything works like a charm... I can have the fan cooling at full blast and I don't hear a thing of it... Prescott, here we come! :D

The closet is big enough to handle the heat; during the two weeks lasting heatwave in Holland, the CPU temperature reached 48 degrees with only a 10cm hole to allow the heat out.

By the way, Innovatek sells a kind of special plugs which you can install in the waterhose so you can easily disconnect without any water leakage in case you need to service your computer.

A very happy watercooling user,

Wanne.

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:33 pm

I guess that makes you a closet watercooler? (Sorry, I didn't even try to resist that one.) :wink:

Interesting approach. Have you seen Bladerunner's no-fan garage radiator?

wdekler

Post by wdekler » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:45 pm

I haven't read about the garage cooler (or heater?)... yet! Sounds interesting! I guess that a quite a few people on this forum have build similar solutions like I have?

I don't know if closet was the right word... it's the place in the hallway were I keep my jackets! :oops: :roll:

Wanne.

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:48 pm

I've seen a topic about a guy who made a ground cooled watercooling...

He digged a hole in his garden, putted in a old radiator (the white ones that work with hot water), he attached the tubes to the radiator, then went up 2 stores (he was on the second floor) and then he attached the tubes to his watercooling setup... 8)

here's the link with a picture, the rest is in dutch
I'll try to find his temps

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:24 pm

Now that I think about it, Bladerunner may not be the one with all the copper pipe lying on his garage floor. I have seen a buried water tank system at http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?contid=3&artid=57

You are correct in your usage of "closet." It's the little room in the hallway with the coats and boots, or the little room in the bedroom with the clothes and shoes. My usage of "closet watercooler" is probably an Americanism. We often use "closet" to mean something that you keep hidden or do in secret. For instance, if you were a "closet smoker" then you would smoke in private and not let your family or friends know that you smoked. The Americans on the forum have probably groaned at my bad "closet watercooler" pun.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:23 pm

Yeah stabb, Bladerunner buried his water system : Project Stealth

Any of the do-it-yourself watercoolers here need to read Bladerunner's page: Zero Fan Zone truly some amazing work.

DonP

Post by DonP » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:38 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Yeah stabb, Bladerunner buried his water system : Project Stealth
What a coincidence... I've been trying the same thing - I've got all the bits apart from the JCB, I just ordered it a few hours ago from SiliconAcoustics.com - great delivery rates from the US... should be arriving tomorrow.

no.. not really.. :)

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:41 pm

I found the garage floor radiator. It's at http://overclockers.com/tips1093/

Now if I could only find that case with the movable front drive bays again...

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:11 pm

Yes. the same guy (Ron Wlock) submitted a HD water cooling -article here.

Cheers,

Jan

wdekler

Post by wdekler » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:55 am

@sbabb

Thanks for the explanation about the closet word! :lol: (I'm glad that no jokes were made about coming out of the closet! :wink: )

I guess that some people are making the water cooling into a fun project?
Although passive radiators are an improvement regarding reliability.