Fanless, thin PCI graphics card needed.

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johtib

Fanless, thin PCI graphics card needed.

Post by johtib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:26 am

I'm currently looking for a PCI graphics card for my mini-itx project. This is what I want out of it:
* PCI (EPIA motherboard)
* Fanless (out of the box, no room for modding!)
* Good 2D quality both on CRT/TV (mainly TV)
* Thin, no high heatsinks!
(* Video caputer, would be nice if not too expensive)
(* DVI, not as important)

Any suggestions?

Fastman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Fastman » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:48 am

One of our rack mount servers had an adapter that extended the PCI (AGP?) slot and rotated it 90 degrees. This results in the video card being parallel to the motherboard and about 1.5 inches away.

If you could find one, this would allow you to choose from regular height graphic cards.

Hope this helps,

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:56 am

i have an Ati 3d rage pro lying around somewhere, it's on old Ati card, but it has no fan, it's in the Pci-slot but i don't know how it performs, it has been a long time since I used it :)
Last edited by GenghiS_KhaN on Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

johtib

Post by johtib » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:40 am

Fastman wrote:One of our rack mount servers had an adapter that extended the PCI (AGP?) slot and rotated it 90 degrees. This results in the video card being parallel to the motherboard and about 1.5 inches away.

If you could find one, this would allow you to choose from regular height graphic cards.

Hope this helps,
They're called PCI-raisers or something like that and are commonly used in mini-itx cases. Still in a cramped case I would like a card that is as small as possible (not those "slim" height cards though, too hard to get and too expensive).

thebiggreenone

Post by thebiggreenone » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:09 am

Newegg.com has a POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 7500LE 64MB DDR PCI CRT+DVI+TV RETAIL for $68.

It is PCI.
It is fanless.
It is ATI, so 2D quality is better than the next PCI card, the MX440.
It is very thin.
And it has DVI.

If you want to be able to capture video, the only PCI graphics card (as opposed to a PCI capture card that would not be a graphics card) at least at Newegg is an AIW Radeon 7500, but that is $117.

johtib

Post by johtib » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:38 pm

thebiggreenone wrote:Newegg.com has a POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 7500LE 64MB DDR PCI CRT+DVI+TV RETAIL for $68.

[snip]

If you want to be able to capture video, the only PCI graphics card (as opposed to a PCI capture card that would not be a graphics card) at least at Newegg is an AIW Radeon 7500, but that is $117.
Looks great! Is the 7500LE ekvivalent of say a GF4 MX440? Is the TV-Out quality on the AIW as good as with other Radeons?