Dell showing off a "Green PC"

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Dell showing off a "Green PC"

Post by psyopper » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 pm

From Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/22/dell ... r-concept/

Looks interesting to say the least. At least it looks stylish any way. I've got money on Atom inside.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:09 am

Looks more of a gimic to me. 70% less power than what? Im sure they'll spin the numbers to their advantage, especially since no-one knows whats inside. Hell take out a GPU and use IGP and you can cut power by 50% in some setups, thats probably what they did.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:54 am

The bamboo case is pretty neat, though. I mean as with most everything "green" these days it's a lot of marketing BS. The internal components obviously require a lot of resources and nasty chemicals during manufacturing, and they'll probably use paints and clearcoats on the bamboo case to make it look spiffy. But still, it's a pretty neat concept IMO, probably one of the more environmentally friendly PCs out there.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:03 am

I'm not going to bash it till I know more.

Any substantial reduction in power consumption over that of an "average" desktop is a good place to start .
"Said to be Dell's smallest-ever computer, the machine is 81 percent smaller than a standard desktop and uses 70 percent less power."...

I would think the PSU is DC/DC, witch I would love to see more of in manufactured PCs.

There are environmentally friendly resins that can be used to coat the bamboo.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:43 am

Hello,

If I had to guess, it looks like it has a 60mm exhaust fan...
It does appear to use an external power supply (there is no AC plug).

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:20 am

Making a shiny, low-power desktop computer is actually really easy. Apple's been doing it for years; you just take a bunch of low-power components intended for laptop use and throw them in a box without a screen. Still, while you can pry my mid-tower case from my cold, dead fingers, I really like the looks of these small computers. I'd love to see more like this for the 90% of people out there who won't be hamstrung by such a small system (basically everyone who doesn't do their own upgrades and doesn't need performance graphics).