Antec PSU fan replacement - please help

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

randyharris

Antec PSU fan replacement - please help

Post by randyharris » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:23 pm

I have an Antec PP-303XP power supply in my Antec tower case.

It works fine except that the fan has gotten noisier over time, and its time to quiet this puppy up.

I would like to replace the stock 80mm fan with a Panaflo 80mm.

My question is regarding the thermister control in the PSU. I know the PSU has a thermister controlled fan. I can see that the stock Globe Fan fan has 4 wires: white, black, black, red.

The Panaflo's that I've used in the past only have 2 wires.

Is it possible to use the Panaflo as a replacement for the Globe Fan??

Would really appreciate your help.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:10 pm

Any 80mm VDC fan swap should work. 4 wire fans usually use them for 2 functions: red & black for + & - voltage. White & black: RPM sensing & ground (same as other black). Your PSU may have a 3-pin jack on a lead that is meant to plug into the motherboard for RPM sensing? Anyway, ignore the white wire, just look to see where the re/black go. Those are the leads that carry the voltage to the fan.

randyharris

Post by randyharris » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:25 pm

Oh my god, I can't believe how much quieter my system is after replacing the fan in my PSU!

I went with a Vantec Stealth 80mm since I had one handy.

Seems to be running fine with the lower airflow, and holy cow is it quiet.

Now its time to make a foam bed to mount my Barracude IV on... I never used to hear it operate but now that I've made several noise reducing changes I hear the harddrive when its operating now!