How do sites like SPCR obtain product for review?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CraftyChicken
Patron of SPCR

How do sites like SPCR obtain product for review?

Post by CraftyChicken » Tue May 13, 2008 3:59 am

I'm just wondering, now that we know Silent Mike will have enough cash to build out the new testing environment, how exactly does a spiffy new gizmo end up in the hands SPCR for an once over. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything concrete on this subject.

I'm guessing companies looking for PR send out product to hardware sites for review. But, since this site doesn't exactly fawn over whatever new gadget hits its doorstep, Mfgs are not as apt to send stuff out. Would that leave it up to SPCR ad-revenue to pay for product then?

Just curious, is all. Looking forward to the new testing equipment and new reviews.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: How do sites like SPCR obtain product for review?

Post by MikeC » Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 am

CraftyChicken wrote:I'm just wondering, now that we know Silent Mike will have enough cash to build out the new testing environment, how exactly does a spiffy new gizmo end up in the hands SPCR for an once over. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything concrete on this subject.

I'm guessing companies looking for PR send out product to hardware sites for review. But, since this site doesn't exactly fawn over whatever new gadget hits its doorstep, Mfgs are not as apt to send stuff out. Would that leave it up to SPCR ad-revenue to pay for product then?

Just curious, is all. Looking forward to the new testing equipment and new reviews.
They get sent to us by companies in mfg, distribution or retail. Mostly, they value our feedback, and some use us almost as part of their routine product assessment process (ie beta testing) precisely because we are so thorough and unusual in our approach. There is no shortage of products to review, it flows in constantly; there is a shortage of manpower, time, and $.

CraftyChicken
Patron of SPCR

Post by CraftyChicken » Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 am

Interesting. After my post I read a review about the "lucrative" field of hardware review, the only caveat being you have to find companies willing to give you product to test.

Well, I can't wait to see the new reviews. We're in the process of upgrading our workstations here at work, so I can't wait to see what great things you discover stuff you have to review next.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Tue May 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Everyone is testing and reviewing stuff.

This site is good because it's filling a niche that's the opposite of the typical gaming and over-clocking crowd. Plus, it has very in-depth tests that use real equipment and don't give you useless non-data like Tom's Hardware and others do. It also pushes the limits in creative ways. ie - they'll try to use a big heat sink passively just to see if they can pull it off. Of cut a case and modify it like the Antec P180/182 project.

It's a very popular case with DIYers as well.

So there are two easy ways to get noticed by these companies - fill a niche or do better reviews with more technical information.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue May 13, 2008 2:12 pm

MikeC wrote:
CraftyChicken wrote:I'm just wondering, now that we know Silent Mike will have enough cash to build out the new testing environment, how exactly does a spiffy new gizmo end up in the hands SPCR for an once over. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything concrete on this subject.

They get sent to us by companies in mfg, distribution or retail. Mostly, they value our feedback, and some use us almost as part of their routine product assessment process (ie beta testing) precisely because we are so thorough and unusual in our approach. There is no shortage of products to review, it flows in constantly; there is a shortage of manpower, time, and $.
I think this comment is so great!
Beta testing, a non-partial quality assessment for manufacturers who aren't afraid to give their products to critical review sites.
It shows confidence in their products and that serious reviewers will make an honoust review.
Plekto wrote:This site is good because it's filling a niche that's the opposite of the typical gaming and over-clocking crowd.

So there are two easy ways to get noticed by these companies - fill a niche or do better reviews with more technical information.
While this site is obviously different from the typical gaming/OC sites (in both ways you mentioned), quietness "versus" gaming/overclocking are not opposite of eachother per se.
There are people who just want a quiet PC, but there are also gamers who like to combine a high end PC with quietness (myself included).
Visiting this site surely pays off for gamers as well :D
I guess my point is, this site serves a niche but the people looking for a quiet PC are not restricted to a specific kind of user group.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue May 13, 2008 2:44 pm

spookmineer wrote:--Beta testing--
We've actually given early heads-up warnings to some sample providers about problems in their products, and their response has sometimes been...

"OK, whatever, put it in your review please. It'll give us (marketing folks) some leverage over those b_gg_rs at head office (or engineering or...) to get them to do what we ask them for! They keep cutting corners and ignoring what we say the buyers are looking for."