hadrolepton's ducted alpha 8045

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HadroLepton

hadrolepton's ducted alpha 8045

Post by HadroLepton » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:36 pm

here is a teaser. i'll post some more pictures and maybe add some more info later

[update] the image is now hosted on my uni server. it should be quite reliable so if it is down you can go screaming in panic right away.

the processor is an amd xp 2000+ (1,6 GHz)
undervolted from 1,75v to 1,70v which didn't drop the temperature much (1 deg max). but since it's running stable i kept it that way

the duct is made out of cardboard
before the duct there was a 80mm fan over the alpha and a 120mm fan at the back of the case sucking air out
now the 120mm fan in the back is sucking air out through the duct over the alpha. the fan over the alpha is removed
the temps with duct are just 1-2 degs higher than before (without duct with fan over the alpha)
to make it short i removed one fan for the price of 1-2 degs higher temps and i think that it's worth it. although i barely hear the difference ^_^;
(hadrolepton's ego: "just shut up and post the pics! think about the fame and glory you'll get when posting this in spcr!!!") yeahh... *hadrolepton mumbling to himself* ... thank you ... thanks ... oh please that was not necessary ... award of excellence yeah ... *drool* ... ... ...

note: when i said i'll add some pics later i mean like couple of weeks later not days later so don't hold your breath ;) (hadrolepton <- lazy bum)
Last edited by HadroLepton on Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:52 pm

that sucks, wheres the duct tape?

actually, nice duct.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:49 pm

You must be an architect. Look at that gorgeous folding job! Oh, and the beautiful photo, with the "light afternoon breeze" lighting and no color cast... if you knew what Sunset magazine was, you'd understand what I mean when I say you should get published. ;)

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:51 pm

yes that is a beatiful duct.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:04 pm

WOW! How long did You measure that?

Jan

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:26 pm

thanks for the comments :)

the photo was made with a digicam without flash, i had to open all windows (the real windows which are usually integrated in the walls) to let much sunlight in.

the measuring was quite a task. actually the measuring took the most time of the overal time for the project. the real working time for the duct (cutting folding) was around two hours, but since i am a lazy bum it took couple of days to finish it. and couple of weeks from actual start of measuring to final implementation :)

the plan to make this has been around since i started reading spcr. i just haven't got the time till now

the duct fits almost snug against the alpha but because of some small tolerance errors (cardboard thickness, cutting/folding tolerances) there is some space open on one side of the alpha. this lets air in which doesn't go over the alpha. maybe when i cover this space somehow the temps will go down a bit further. but i am quite satisfied with it for now. maybe i'll improve it next vacation.