Laptops with solid state drives. Any write endurance issue?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jameshanley39

Laptops with solid state drives. Any write endurance issue?

Post by jameshanley39 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi

What is the write endurance on the solid state drives they are including with laptops?

Is it 2 million ? 4 million?

I have heard that with a solid state drive, since they wear out.. People optimise their system to deal with it..

So for windows xp, they turn off virtual memory.

Or better, they use windows xp embedded. Which can stop writing to the drive.

Do any of these laptops use windows xp embedded? or have "no paging file" or any of these things?

I am wondering how they do it..

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sat May 31, 2008 8:55 pm

I am no expert in SSDs, but I'll say what I've picked up in the reviews/forums I've read...

Solid State Drives have gotten to the point that they are viable for everyday use. Yes, they do suffer from limited read/write cycles, but each cell in an SSD can be written to hundreds of thousands of times. On top of this, SSDs nowadays have special algorithms that "wear level", meaning that instead of rewriting on a few cells over and over again, they will write on different sectors before rewriting an existing one, thus greatly extending the life of an SSD. From what I've read SSDs for nearly all consumer purposes will have equal or greater expected lifetimes as compared to their spinning brethren.

Because of these advancements, I wouldn't bother turning off the page file, though it is easily possible in XP by going to System Properties>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Virtual Memory