Recommend Silent LCD Monitor

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yaler

Post by yaler » Sun May 25, 2008 6:45 am

I bought a 931bw just due to its technical superiority to most other 19" TN models, but on the settings I like it on it is easily contributing more noise than either of my running pcs. I understand about the 80% brightness fix, and I use it when the sound is really bothering me.

I think SPCR should re-examine their unit, and I think they should review more monitors in general. I don't want to get stuck buying a cinema display next, but I'm afraid I might be.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun May 25, 2008 12:56 pm

yaler wrote:I bought a 931bw just due to its technical superiority to most other 19" TN models, but on the settings I like it on it is easily contributing more noise than either of my running pcs. I understand about the 80% brightness fix, and I use it when the sound is really bothering me.

I think SPCR should re-examine their unit, and I think they should review more monitors in general. I don't want to get stuck buying a cinema display next, but I'm afraid I might be.
You can RMA it back for a new one you know, or just send it back and tell them you want a different one. Tell em its broke, cause it makes a horrible sound when you turn it on. They'll take it back.

All monitors have the possibility of making noise. One person may have a model he says is quiet, and another person has the same one and he says its loud. I see it all the time. Just get the monitor you want, and if it makes funny noises, return it for a new one till you get one that doesnt make noise.

123UNIX

Post by 123UNIX » Sun May 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Aris wrote: All monitors have the possibility of making noise. One person may have a model he says is quiet, and another person has the same one and he says its loud. I see it all the time.
It may also have to do with psychoacoustics.

For most people MP3 sounds fine, others find the inherent rustle unbearable.

Same may be going with monitors. They are mass produced in highly optimized processes, and I'd rather consider uniqueness of man (and their acoustic env.) than look for deviations between units alone.

So I'm trying to get more opinions about hum/buzz in 971P to decide if it really warrants a return or some transformer hot-melt gluing.

Dave2

Re: FP93GP & 971P

Post by Dave2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 pm

We have Samsung 971p 's around here and they are dead quiet. Extremely high quality and pivoting as well. For web and text you can't beat the portrait mode. Has both types of video connectors, old and new. Very excellent value for the money. So far a couple years running with zero problems.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:41 pm

I'll go ahead and throw in the Dell SP2208WFP into the mix. It's a gorgeous glossy screen LCD (when adjusted properly) that is very quiet. The only time I can actually hear anything is when I put my ear ON the monitor. Nothing is audible from viewing distance (3 feet).

Terje

Post by Terje » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am

I got some monitors around and have got to test two large screens the last days

24" alu imac... to the extent it can be called a monitor. Silent :)
Dell 2407 (old 24" monitor) whines at times. Especially if the room is warm
Samsung 181T - Dead silent. Cannot hear anything from it.

And I have been testing:
EIZO SX3031W - Gorgeous 30" screen. Very expensive, but for some reason that I cannot explain, they have put 3(!!!) fans in this thing!. I will give them credit. They have done a reasonably good job making the fans silent. There is no change in rotation speed and a somewhat comfortalble sound from them and the noise is of a character that would be fine in a slightly lively office environment, but I turned it off after less than 2 hours on my desk in my home office (which is quite quiet). That was all I could take.

NEC LCD2690WUXi. 25.5" display. Probably the most expensive 25.5 incher you can get of "mainstream" lcd screens and the display is nothings short of fantastic.

I have seen several complaints about buzzing on this screen on older european models, but that is supposedly fixed in newer models. I got a japanese version on my desk now and it does not whine or buzz (actually there is a buzz, but cannot be heard from the frontside of the screen).

It does however produce a very faint hum. I can hear it if I turn off my Antec P180 and only use my imac. This screen basically makes noise around the same frequency as my P180 (which is very quiet), and I cannot really separate the sound from them if both are on.

I would probably not want it if I only had the imac on my desk, but even so the quality of this display is so good I can almost forgive the faint hum :)