Silencing your scroll mouse.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rackafella

Silencing your scroll mouse.

Post by Rackafella » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:56 am

So I have been doing this modifications too all my mouses for at couple of years now.
Not because the silencing effect but because the feel the mouse gets :) That it gets more silent is just a bonus!

The whole thing is VERY easy and takes about 5 minutes, tops :)

The basics is open the mouse, remove the pin on the scroll wheel and close her up again. DONE.

What you get is a SMOOTH scroll wheel without the stops and the loud sound those stops do.
Some people thinks it feels weird in the beginning (and maybe it does if you not use to it) but after a while you grow to really appreciate the smoothness.

And heres the Picture guide! :

Get your mouse! (I have only done this on Logitech mouses but my guess is that all scrolls are the same)

Remove the hood, the batteries and the screws (some mouses you work from the top, like this one. And some from the back.)

Separate the top from the back. (usually a cable in there you have to unplug if its a wireless mouse).

This is what a naked mouse looks like:

Remove the scroll wheel. Usually just lift it straight up.

The wheel usually has two metal pins. One on the right side and one on the left. Witch to remove tends to differ from model to model.
But it is the one that goes IN to the wheel that should be removed. The other one is used as a spring so that the wheel will also work as a button.

Then put the scroll wheel back in the mouse as i where before (without the removed pin).

See to it that the other pin is seated correctly, otherwise your scroll wheel will not as it should. (just open up and replace it if it doesn't).

Plug the cable back in and put the top back on. Screw in the screws.

And finally put in batteries and the hood again. And you're done!

And if you use Firefox i recommend "Yet another smooth scrolling Add-on"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5846

Thank you for listening

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:17 am

very nice and simple!

did it just now, it feels really weird but i like it already :D - not to sure how its going to affect gaming though.
(using a logitech mx518 btw)

aaa

Post by aaa » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:16 am

Lol. I actually like the "bumpy" feel.

Of course, the easy way is to get one of those Microsoft mice that come have "smooth" scroll already.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:06 am

Oh thats good.

Feels great on my MX500. :D

DG

Post by DG » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:55 pm

The thing is not all scroll wheels are the same, so you might improvise, depending on the mouse model.

Rackafella

Post by Rackafella » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:16 pm

DG wrote:The thing is not all scroll wheels are the same, so you might improvise, depending on the mouse model.
Ok, that i probably true. I have only done this on a couple of logitechs and they all where the same.

But i would guess that the difference cant be too big.
If anyone has pictures of other mouses you are welcome to post them here :)

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Very nice, simple, yet effective mod. Thanks for sharing it with us!

wim

Post by wim » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:48 pm

yup i did this exact same trick on my logitech mouseman optical some years ago :) i like it too, there was only one issue which is that since the mousewheel can stop at any position (when previously it would only 'land' between bumps) it can sometimes stop right at the edge of a 'tick' if you know what i mean. then the window sometimes will scroll up and down suddenly with the slightest bump. not such a big deal, but in games sometimes it makes you switch weapons unexpectedly, and you will get killed during the weapon switch animation :D

i hadn't seen that fx plugin before though, i just installed it then it's quite nice!

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:00 am

I did this accidentally when I opened my Logitech MX500. That spring just fell out when I opened the mouse casing and I didn't find the place it came from, so when I put everything else back together, I got a smooth mouse wheel, and liked it.

The reason why I did pop the mouse open was to remove the weight. In a MX500, there's a small piece of metal screwed under the top of the mouse, that has no other purpose than to add weight to the mouse. I like my mice light, so I removed it. Takes a bit over 10% off the mouse weight altogether.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:12 am

Awesome scrolling plugin, thanks! And it even works with Firefox 3.0 on Ubuntu/Linux.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:26 am

i've found the apple mighty mouse to have the quietest scroll ball i've ever used, mainly because the clicking sound is actually generated by a speaker...if you break open your mighty mouse, you can actually muffle it to nothing...but it has a very nice sound to it.

walle

Post by walle » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Brilliant, just brilliant, did this mod to my mice straight away, wow...finally...silencium !

This one is well worth a sticky, heck, it should be a sticky.

Thanks for sharing Rackafella

:D
Last edited by walle on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walle

Post by walle » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 pm

dubble post

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:20 pm

the logitech VX revolution has a cool little switch that changes the scroll wheel from the bumpy mode to smooth scrolling. pretty cool.....

KyonCoraeL

Post by KyonCoraeL » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:59 am

nice post...

I was too lazy to try so I bought myself a VX nano... silent scrolling :)

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:33 am

good work

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:10 am

Unfortunately, this doesn't work on Razer mice. At least, not on my Krait.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:57 pm

hey mouses are supposed to make click-click ;)

I have Logitech trackman wheel, the wheel looks identical to yours. I took it apart to clean, couldn't figure out how the spring goes back. The spring on one side makes all the click-click as you turn the wheel, the other one helps it bob up & down,,, gawd I'll never open another mouse again...

Rackafella

Post by Rackafella » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:50 am

Rebellious wrote:hey mouses are supposed to make click-click ;)

I have Logitech trackman wheel, the wheel looks identical to yours. I took it apart to clean, couldn't figure out how the spring goes back. The spring on one side makes all the click-click as you turn the wheel, the other one helps it bob up & down,,, gawd I'll never open another mouse again...
Hey!
If you take a look at this picture you can see how it shuld be:

The "rounded" end of the spring goes, inside the wheel and the square end goes in the plasic "foot".
Easy :D

If its the other spring its even simpler, just look at this picture:

http://climbing.huligan.se/rackafella/IMG_6992.jpg

its kind of self explanatory(?) i think :)
/r

Rackafella

Post by Rackafella » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:24 am

this got a sticky? awsome :D

blazing fire

Post by blazing fire » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:41 am

Great guide!

SteveRCE

Post by SteveRCE » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:42 am

Also note, the Logitech LX5 mice now have a spring + ball bearing that produces the clicking noise. If you wanted to quiet down the "clicking", you could either relieve some of the pressure from the spring steel, or sand down some of the plastic ridges inside the wheel. If you want to eliminate it completely, simply remove the tiny spring and ball bearing.

If you want, I can sacrifice an LX5 mouse to inspect the momentary switches for the Left/Right buttons as well.

I'll snap a pic later and edit this message. Will also post pics of my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 pm

I did that by accident to my MX510 when the right mouse button broke and I tried to fix it :lol: (lost the pin)

Yes, it's silent, but now it has no feeling :/

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:06 am

Unfortunately not possible with the Microsoft Optical Trackball, that just has teeth on the rotating shaft. would be possible if you were to brake the two pieces of plastic against the teeth but irreversible and wheel would more than likely spin too freely

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:47 am

I have some random razer mouse. It has by default a silent scroll, heh.
...Still sounds when pressing the LMB and RMB, of course.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 am

I just did the mod on my elcheapo Logitech wired PS2 mouse. Exact same innards. WOW :shock:

It would be nice if we could silence those LMB and RMB too! Anyone know how to silence a keyboard?

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:40 am

acoustipack? :P :lol:

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:11 am

SteveRCE wrote:Also note, the Logitech LX5 mice now have a spring + ball bearing that produces the clicking noise. If you wanted to quiet down the "clicking", you could either relieve some of the pressure from the spring steel, or sand down some of the plastic ridges inside the wheel. If you want to eliminate it completely, simply remove the tiny spring and ball bearing.

If you want, I can sacrifice an LX5 mouse to inspect the momentary switches for the Left/Right buttons as well.

I'll snap a pic later and edit this message. Will also post pics of my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer.
If your LX5 is still alive please do post the pics I want to know how I can disassemble my Lx5. I removed all screws and then the back lifts easily but the front is somehow sticking and won\t open. I damaged & broke a LX5 like that, but got out of the story by setting the 2-pin wire reversed and then put some batteries wait till the mouse got hot, removed the batteries and took it to the local PC store and said the mouse "fell off" my desk and got broken. I got a new Lx5 :D Now I want to dot it correctly though :(

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:49 am

try looking for screws under labels or rubber pads ;)

budzz89

Post by budzz89 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 pm

try to have put some oil