Modding Enermax, again...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Marvin

Modding Enermax, again...

Post by Marvin » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:43 pm

I got myself a 92mm Papst which is going to be the only fan in the PSU.

After reading most of the topics about modding this PSU, I haven't noticed that anyone would have tried something I was thinking of. If I'm correct, I should find a thermistor glued to one of the coils, as shown in the article. That thermistor controls the 80mm fan.

Has anyone tried to control the 92mm fan with that same thermistor. In another words, has anyone connected the 92mm to the 80mm connectors? Does it have the capability to run bigger fans?

I know that I shoud move the thermistor to some other place, where it wouldn't get that hot, but I still like the idea of thermal adjustment for fans. Or should I build my own control circuit for the fan?

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:00 pm

I'm not familiar with that fan, but on my 300W Powmax a 50 ohm @ 25C thermistor is wired in series with the +12V power lead for the fan. The thermistor is glued into the middle of one of the output filter chokes, but it could also be be attached to the low voltage heatsink. Don't attach it to the high voltage heatsink (next to the large electrolytic capacitors rated 200-400 volts) because a lot of times it's attached directly to high voltage and has 170VDC on it!!!