One heatsink, 5 badges and counting

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

One heatsink, 5 badges and counting

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:32 pm

The wasp-waisted HDT HSF that originally appeared as the 3RSytems Prima is now also sold by SilenX, Sunbeamtech, EKG (German(?), I can't read the details but the photo is conclusive!) and most recently Silverstone as the NT-08 with blue blades on the fan (Techgage is going gaga over its performance). Has anybody spotted more badges? Will we get to ten within the year? Nexus??

It does have pretty good performance, and it can point in the right direction on AMD mobos!

TPeterson

Post by TPeterson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:42 pm

I'm so sad that Felger won't find out the answers to these questions.

I am very sorry to report to Felger Carbon's friends in this forum that I just learned today of his death last Wednesday.

Having known him for the past 25 years, I am very sad that we'll not be reading more of his SPCR (and other) exploits.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:48 pm

TPeterson wrote:I'm so sad that Felger won't find out the answers to these questions.

I am very sorry to report to Felger Carbon's friends in this forum that I just learned today of his death last Wednesday.

Having known him for the past 25 years, I am very sad that we'll not be reading more of his SPCR (and other) exploits.
Are you serious?! :shock:

TPeterson

Post by TPeterson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:51 pm

I wish that I weren't, but this is no "joke".

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:56 pm

What happened to him?

bjojoj

Post by bjojoj » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:10 pm

:cry: I am really sorry to hear this. My sincere condolances to his friends and family. May he rest in peace. :cry:

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:13 pm

bjojoj wrote::cry: I am really sorry to hear this. My sincere condolances to his friends and family. May he rest in peace. :cry:
Same here.

Funny how the internet can bring people of such different backgrounds together when just a few years ago most of us would have never known he existed. I can't claim to know him anymore than his SPCR online persona would allow, but as far as I could tell he was a curious, thoughtful, intelligent, and kind person.

Definitely a loss here, and I'm sure a million times over to his family and friends.

RIP Felger Carbon.

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:22 pm

Wow, that is sad. Having grown up not too far from Klamath Falls, he was one of the first ones I noticed on the site. :(

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:55 pm

He'll be missed by a lot of people who never met him in person - like me.

From his posts, I'd say he was an engneer's Engineer.

Ave atque Vale, Felger Carbon

Nephew of Felger Carbon

Post by Nephew of Felger Carbon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Greetings to all friends of Felger Carbon,

Felger Carbon (Hal Hardenbergh) was my uncle. Thank you for the kind words and condolences expressed by a number of you here on SPCR. I thought you might enjoy hearing just a little about him.

Hal W Hardenbergh was 72 years old. He completed his training in EE at the University of Southern California and worked as an engineer, inventor, and entrepreneur in the early days of the California electronics/computer industry (since the early 1960s). He was born in 1936 in the deep South (Alabama). The W stands for Winston. His mother was an elegant Southern lady from Tennesee. Hal's father was a Naval war hero from WWII. Hal's family moved to Southern California in 1947 and he was then raised on the beach in the Venice/Ocean Park area next to Santa Monica. Yes, the rest of his biography is absolutley accurate as told by TPeterson and JShaker.

Yes, Hal W Hardenbergh was quite a character. More importantly, he was a kind human being of deep intellectual curiosity. He was also a wonderful uncle and always full of stories. He was larger than life in our family. We were so proud of him. He will be profoundly missed. Hal is survived by his older brother, Thomas, and a younger brother, Charles, and by a variety of nieces and nephews.

I hope Hal was a helpful and interesting contributor to his collegues and friends on SPCR and in the computer world. I would love to hear any personal stories any of you have and are willing to share about Felger Carbon. Please contact me via this website. Thank you.
Last edited by Nephew of Felger Carbon on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Allow me to express my condolences as well. I rarely post here, but lurk a lot, and this place will definitely not be the same without him. :(

Kraiger

He will be missed...

Post by Kraiger » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 am

I never met Hal, but will miss him nonetheless. I was a huge Atari ST fan in Oregon back around 1984. The ST's time came and went, and I sold all my ST gear years ago, but there were just a couple items I could not part with. One of them was my DTACK Basic manual. This basic was, hands down, the best. As I recall, the only downside was that it took over control of the whole ST so that you could do nothing else with it while DBASIC was running. Of course that is part of what made it great. Also, while I was only a semi-geek and mostly dabbled with programming for fun, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the manual for this language! Hal's personality was infused in the manual. Unlike most software manuals written by the coders, this manual was actually very, very helpful. It was also well written, witty, and entertaining. It sounds very odd, but Hal's passion, his enthusiasm, curiosity, consternation, and most of all his joy were communicated to me through the pages of a basic programmers user manual.

The world has too few souls like Hal's.

He will be missed.