45mm (Square) 64mm (Circular) Contact Water Block Needed...

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

moon47usaco

45mm (Square) 64mm (Circular) Contact Water Block Needed...

Post by moon47usaco » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Trying to cool down the hot side of a TEC module to get the cool side to ice over...

I have come to the realization that my water block MUST have a contact area of about 45mm square or about 60-65 circular diameter to completely cover the TEC module or else the exposed areas will cause the cool side to loose its effectiveness and will NOT produce ice (or just get really cold)... =]

This one is big enough but a little on the expensive side...

OH CANT POST A LINK YET... =P
Its a "D-Tek FuZion CPU Water Block" for around 65 Duckets...!!

Any suggestions for a cheaper model with a large enough contact area... ??

moon47usaco

Post by moon47usaco » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 am

You know, the temperatures you get depend on more than just the contact area of the waterblock. I'd suggest going for as good a waterblock as you can afford (as well as other LCS components) rather than fixating on some arbitrary parameter. As far as good waterblocks go, 65$ is not that steep a price.

It's not clear from your description whether you are trying to cool your CPU or conduct some scientific experiment. If the former, there's no point in getting temperatures so low (you are aware of the condensation issues involved, right?). If the latter, you don't need water cooling at all, just a big enough heatsink - it will take it a while to heat up.

moon47usaco

Post by moon47usaco » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:38 am

I have already made my own water-block out of an aluminum heat-sink and various hardware products but of course it leaked...

It did however cover the whole unit... It made ice in a few seconds...

I have used a variety of air cooled heat-sinks and none have done the job...

It does not mater what i am doing with the application the point is still the same an i do need temperatures that low...

If the latter, you don't need water cooling at all, just a big enough heatsink - it will take it a while to heat up.
The point here is efficient, fast and constant cooling of the module... I dont want it to heat up at all... =[