Why the Slipstream?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

samdrong

Why the Slipstream?

Post by samdrong » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:37 am

I’m putting the finishing touches on my shopping list for my first silent pc build and I am having difficulty in choosing what case fan I should use to replace the tri-cool fan in the Antec Solo.

I notice that lots of people in the System Advice / Troubleshooting forum suggest using the Scythe Slipstreams however they are noticeably absent from SPCR’s recommended fan list. Could someone please enlighten me as to why so many people are still suggesting the Slipstream and not the Noctua NF-S12 series, Nexus Real Silent, or Scythe S-Flex series?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can give,
--Sam

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:58 am

The recommended fans list hasn't been updated for a while, so check out the fairly recent test of the Slip Stream family of fans.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article83 ... html#SS-SH
One still can't go wrong with a Nexus Real Silent, but check out the Scythe Slip Streams(yes they named the product series "slip stream") anyway.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 pm

Noctuas are much more expensive if you can find them for sale.

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 pm

<---cheap guy here

Or the Yate Loon D12SL-12's are a nice budget choice--I've never had any problem undervolting them at either 5 or 7V, and they are usually cheaper.

Modo

Post by Modo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:56 pm

The Slip Stream is new(ish), and pretty cheap for the value offered, that's why it is recommended often. A Noctua or S-FLEX is a nice upgrade, if your budget allows that (better bearings, whis is important if you plan to use the fans horizontally, and don't want to worry about replacing them too soon).

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Best cheap option = Yate Loon 120 mm in the $4-$5 range
Best medium price option = Scythe Slipstream 120mm about $8
Best high price fan = Scythe SFLEX about $14
Nexus = about $16 but isn't the best fan for all uses
Noctua = $20 and up but isn't the best fan for all uses

Those prices don't include S&H or tax but show a relative price that a normal consumer can order one in the US.

With the Slipstream you have a choice of 6 models (some harder to find than others)
With the SFLEX you have a choice of 4 models
with the Yate Loon you have a choice of 4 models (only 2 speeds)
with the Nexus you have a choice of 1 model
with Noctua you have several fan choices but they aren't cheap and you have to really pay attention because each fan has it's specific ups and downs.

The wide variety of speeds you can do at the same reasonable price is a big draw to the slipstream.

Slipstream SH 1900 (surprisingly versatile)
Slipstream H 1600 (avoid this model unless you like loud fans)
Slipstream M 1200 (most common easy to find model)
Slipstream LM 1000 (new, not sure how easy this will be to buy)
Slipstream L 800 (the direct competitor to a Nexus, but *)
Slipstream SL 500 (too slow for most use)

The slowest model does between 170 and 500 RPM, the fastest does between 400 and 1800 RPM. The one with the most versatility that is easily bought right now is the Medium with a range from roughly 600 to 1200 RPM. There is a newer Slipstream LM 1000 that might prove to be the new favorite but it hasn't been reviewed yet so I'm just guessing.

* I personally don't like the 800 RPM slipstream, just like I don't want the Nexus 120mm. I like my fans to be general purpose, undervolted if I want quiet, full voltage if I want to move a lot of air. I'll go for the 1000 or 1200 RPM model.

It's more about knowing what you need that knowing what fan is best. Pick a fan near the RPMs you need and tweak from there...

samdrong

Post by samdrong » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 am

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'll think I'll pick up the Slipstream 1200.