Renamed - Alzheimers Thread

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Renamed - Alzheimers Thread

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25722244/

Added - I am going to post any news about Alzheimers on this thread, instead of mixing more important news into the chit-chat thread.

Hope nobody minds.

Aris
Last edited by aristide1 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:39 am

Well now they know that the plaque wasn't the cause, so they can move onto other things...

colm

Post by colm » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:00 am

that is sad, but to conclude it didn't fix anything is wrong. Alzheimers is painful because folks are normal before the disease. the only way to fail the god given gadget called a brain is with toxic, or physical beating (elctricity included). I hope they do not give up.
I was a young version of memory loss, electrical related. It took years in a slow slow curve of recovery with thousands of gallons of fluids. To lose taste for clean, whuch is fluids, the diseases no one cures begins. I refuse to call it "pig", due to failures of liver, and whatever else filters.
Of course I may think too much and appear to be babbling, but to witness alzheimers unfold, and then go through something like it while young and fighting... It is something of filth to me, in fact, replusive to think about,something getting in that don't belong. I hope they continue the toxic cleaners, maybe a test young can find build ups and conquer disease before it happens. Follow a genetic trend type family for experimenting..They are on to something there with the plaque killers.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:35 pm

New drug - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25100491/

Be healthier, eat less (easier said than done.)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25588227/

Interesting theory - "The physiological makeup that makes people susceptible to diabetes and obesity was probably good when they were in a starving environment."

No matter how you get the results, deal with clogging pipes (get your BP down). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25584632/

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:13 pm

The advances in medicine today truly are wonderful, but sometimes you can't fight genetics. I had dinner with a business rep from DuPont last night and he was telling his story. 18 months ago we was a healthy man in his late-30s, with a total cholesterol score 170, exercising 5 times a week, eating healthy (to the point of having fish for breakfast) and still had two heart attacks. He now has to take medication to keep his total cholesterol down to 110, which I didn't even think was possible.

It's amazing how incredibly resilient and amazingly frail the human body can be at the same time.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:37 pm

I've heard of that before, instead of having high cholesterol they had high levels of homocysteine. Statins lower both from what I recall.

Hey, there's a good chance the guy would be dead already if not for what he was doing. Like the guy who wrote one of the first books on running he died in his 40's, but his relatives died in their late 30's, so did he succeed? I would say yes.

I knew a bodybuilder in his 20's, ate all those protein powders, his cholesterol was 80! I kid you not, his doctor was astonished. I went from being sedentary to working out like crazy, my cholesterol barely moved, dropped like 5 points, 230 to 225. My doctor yawned and said "It happens."

But very very old people have high cholesterol, there's more going on than we understand. Plaque buildup on teeth is an indicator, if it happens really fast there it probably happens fast elsewhere.

There's a Japanese island where mental decline is very rare. All they eat is fish, but then what are their other problems like mercury poisoning? Nobody's perfect.

bussoguy

Post by bussoguy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:31 am

aristide1 wrote
[But very very old people have high cholesterol, there's more going on than we understand. Plaque buildup on teeth is an indicator, if it happens really fast there it probably happens fast elsewhere.

Plaque on teeth has nothing to do with cholesterol. Teeth get a build up of bacteria and crap from saliva but Arterial plaque is a fat build up.
Very very old people are no different from the young adults and if either have high cholesterol it due to their genes or what they eat/drink.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Its not the same plaque but people who have a lot of the one usually have a lot of the other.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:34 am

Here's a scary theory. If you read a ways down through the replies however the fart theory may also have merit. Perhaps FartingBob cabn shed some light on that.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/labnotes ... y-day.aspx