wanna buy a extremely high end setup, only got 1 chance

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rigurat

wanna buy a extremely high end setup, only got 1 chance

Post by rigurat » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm in the Philippines, I am a US citizen and I go to America about once every 5 years. I'll be leaving in about a week. I want to buy the best parts I can get all at once while there. (these are hard to find here)

I want to buy various parts to assemble a very good water cooling system for my PC at home. Ambient temperatures get quite hot here.

I would like to cool basically everything that can be cooled by water, CPU, GPU, NB and SB chipset, mofsets, and even my PhysX card. Of couse I want the system to be quiet. Money is not the issue.

I'm considering the Laing DC5 pump, 1/2" tubing, Swiftech water blocks on CPU and GPU, Danger Den waterblocks for the NB and SB chipset and GeForce 4 GPU waterblock for the PhysX card, and Koolance waterblock for the VRM's on the motherboard. And a small swiftech resovior. I haven't decided on the radiator yet, but I am thinking about getting 3 radiators for each of the 3 fans on the Antec P180 case. I don't want to cut up my case.

This is the loop I had in mind.

RESOVOIR -> PUMP -> RADIATOR 1 -> CPU -> GPU -> RADIATOR 2 -> NB -> SB -> MOFSET -> RADIATOR 3 -> RESOVOIR

Is any of this good?

My CPU ambient temperature is ranges from 30-40 when idle and 45 when load. GPU temperature is 70 at idle, 90 at load, MCP temp is 60. Motherboard temp is at 44. I'm hoping to reduce most of them my at least 20 degrees without overclocking.

Asus P5N32-e SLI Plus, Q6600, 8800 GTX, 5x WD Raptor @ RAID0, 1 WD 1TB drive, Enermax Modu 82+ PSU. Inside an Antec P180 case.

Post by 1398342003 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:32 pm

Swiftech Apogee blocks, a Laing D5, 1/2" Tygon tubing, Feser One additive, and a Thermochill P120.3 radiator would be the best you could get for an easy build right now.

The Swiftech MCW60 is more than enough for a GeForce 8800 processor, but the video Ram will do better with a full coverage block. The 9800 GTX seems to have PhysX built into it, and can be bought from BFG with a Danger Den full coverage waterblock standard. It's called the 9800GTX H2OC. Using one of these could simplify your system a little and get you a real warrenty. (none of the 'warrently is void, you took off the heatsink' BS)

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting any Koolance blocks, as they tend to mix metals, which can cause galvanic corossion. It might be a better solution to get Mosfet/Ram heatsinks and put a very low speed 120mm fan above the MB to cool the voltage regulators, northbridge, and southbridge; they use very little power.

Using three radiators will produce more flow restriction than using one made for three fans. I recommend the Thermochill P120.3, as it is optimized for low airflow. If you use something similar to Swiftech's Radbox You can mount the radiator outside of the case, although you will have to make some holes for the tubes. Oh, and don't forget a shroud. A shroud will drop temps slightly and decrease noise.

Your CPU temps may drop 5c, my Q6600 hovers around 15c above ambient when idle with OCing. I can't be sure, but your GPU temps could drop about 10c idle, maybe 15c load with the 8800. The 9800 GTX H2OC would be about 60c - 65c in Speedfan. (mine is) Motherboard temps are harder to predict, maybe about 35c? MCP temp will likely drop with a little extra cooling too.

The actual loop itself doesn't matter much, as long as the reservoir comes right before the pump. That usually makes it easier to fill the system.

Oh, the D5 has a very high pitched whine to it. The whine can be largely removed by elastic suspension, or by placing it on soft foam. Some models of the D5 have speed control, I would recommend one, as the D5 is overpowered for PC cooling. I only run mine at about 66% of full power normally.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:11 am

Not directly related to your question, but don't forget that there are many stores selling this stuff and shipping internationally, such as http://www.performance-pcs.com/, http://www.frozencpu.com/ and http://www.pcsilent.nl/en/. While the shipping costs might make them less favorable, I would definitely not count this as a "one-shot opportunity".

AVT

Post by AVT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:22 pm

For CPU waterblock, although I don't watercool, I've heard very good things about the D-Tek Fuzion. You should take a look.

rigurat

Post by rigurat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:14 pm

will do, thanks