advice on gaming pc

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Arjen

advice on gaming pc

Post by Arjen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi there,

I'm setting up a new pc; it's going to be used to play some games. I have some things figured out pretty nicely, but am still in doubt about others.
I'd like it to be quiet as well - it won't be supersilent, but i'd like to invest in some parts that turn down the noise. I don't want an airplane.

This is the setup:
Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
2x2 GB CL4 (or CL 5)
Sapphire Radeon HD4870
Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB
LG GH20NS10 cd/dvd

I am still in doubt about the following:
- Antec Performance one P182 vs. CoolerMaster CM690 (is the P182 worth the extra money?)
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF (has good reviews, but when it speeds up, it supposedly makes a lot of noise. Any other suggestions? Scythe?)
- PSU: how many watts should I put in this system (500? 600?). And how many should I put in when I want to go Crossfire at a later stage? Any suggestions?

What do you think? I appreciate all suggestions (not only on the case, cooler and psu).

TIA,

Arjen

matcote

Post by matcote » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 pm

The cm690 is a really good case but for noise the antec is really better.

If you want to reduce the noise you must replace the stock cooling of your video card, it is the noisiest thing of your system. Use an accelero s1 or a zalman vf1000.

For the processor cooling I suggest the ninja, or the vendetta, xigmatek 1283 (direct touch).

The power supply must be 450 watts for a single video card, or a 600 watts for a crossfire. Did I mention a GOOD quality psu.

Arjen

additional questions

Post by Arjen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'm going for the Antec case and am leaving the Arctic cooler aside. I have some additional questions:

- I thought it was the Scythe Infinity (Mugen) that is a very popular cooler. Why did you advice a Ninja 2?

- PSU: Since you mentioned (quality) 600W PSU when going Crossfire, I'm thinking of taking a Corsair CMPSU-650TX, or Thermaltake Toughpower (600W). Bad idea?

Thanks once again,

Arjen

matcote

Post by matcote » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 pm

Personally I prefer the ninja, beacause it as the same performance with a lighter weight.

For the power supply, the termaltake is not a good choise, you must consider a corsair, enermax or seasonic.