Post by thephillipsclan » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:24 pm

http://svcompucycle.com/zanoco.html
this is the northbridge i was thinking of using

http://www.gainward.com/ProductImages/g ... 00x375.jpg

here is the card i have it is a Gainward GF4 ti4200 128mb agp8x

would the northbridge work or not?

Jaik

Post by Jaik » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:48 am

I'm guessing it will work but it will be scary.

A while back I had the same idea, but with the previous version of the Zalman NB HS. The holes on the card were too far for the NB arms to reach so I had to use the epoxy. I can run the card passively, but it gets hot. Real hot. Too hot to touch. But it's stable. Like I said, doable, but scary, especially at first.

Oh, extra note, my card is only 4X, not sure what kind of difference that would make in temps...

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:40 pm

You will probably need a quiet 80mm fan to help cool the chip. Some people wedge a fan next to a PCI slot to blow directly down onto the heatsink. I bought a Zalman FB123 fan bracket, so I have a quiet fan pointed perpendicular to my video-card heatsink. There is also a way to build your own fan bracket using a PCI slot cover, but I'm not sure of the exact procedure. Someone posted some instructions along with a couple pictures of their PCI slot cover bracket, but I can't find the post. Maybe another SPCR member can help find it?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:50 pm

SometimesWarrior wrote:You will probably need a quiet 80mm fan to help cool the chip. Some people wedge a fan next to a PCI slot to blow directly down onto the heatsink. I bought a Zalman FB123 fan bracket, so I have a quiet fan pointed perpendicular to my video-card heatsink. There is also a way to build your own fan bracket using a PCI slot cover, but I'm not sure of the exact procedure. Someone posted some instructions along with a couple pictures of their PCI slot cover bracket, but I can't find the post. Maybe another SPCR member can help find it?
MikeC himself did it in his article about OC'ing a P4 1.6 to 2.0. Here's the pic: