External firewire or USB drive

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bralk

External firewire or USB drive

Post by bralk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:04 am

Hello

I just discovered this site and wanted to ask a question.

I am using a Mac Mini running iTunes playing back AIFF music files.
For storage I am using a LaCie rugged 500GB which up till now has been OK.
It´s stable and relatively quiet. But I am running out of storage space.

Any suggestions for - say a 1 TB disk? ( I don´t want an 0 raided disk like the LaCie Little Big Disk Quadra - it´s too risky )

cheers

Tom

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:28 pm

If your buying an all-in-1 external then they generally dont put great drives in them. Whatever is cheapest will do, and you cant guarentee what you'll end up with.
If you are going down the route of buying a HDD and enclosure seperately then you can be quite specific, and in this case i heartedly recommend the WD GP series. The lower speed isnt an issue unless your connecting it with eSATA and using a very good enclosure then you are going to hit a limit in speed long before the HDD does. The GP is very quiet and cool, thus making it ideal for an external/backup.

protellect

Post by protellect » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 am

Another LACIE might be good, or even reuse your old case.

I'm sure you can probably crack open your 500GB and throw in a 1TB disk [assuming your warranty is over]. Buy another case for your 500GB one, or keep it on a shelf, or use it to back up important stuff you normally will keep on your new 1GB.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 am

Regarding USB or FireWire - the mac mini has firewire 400. So, a USB 2.0 drive *might* be faster. Lots of other parameters besides the potential speed of the interface that may influence it.

Many external enclosures have both USB and Firewire ports. You could test it out and let us know :D