Ram heat spreaders really work.

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colm

Ram heat spreaders really work.

Post by colm » Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 am

I looked around, was going to buy some, saw thier cheesy grade for a few bucks and then the extreme useless heatpipe on the ram chip setup and....

decided to make my own.

Will post a photo, but it does involve some self adhering fake chrome covered plastic cut into the 32 sqaures I needed for each and every chip of my dual channel setup. 4500psi epoxy, one side painted thin aluminum sheet (approx 1-1.5mm) the visible side exactly cut to go across all chips of one side as one piece and sanded to very smooth and almost shining...
and then it happened....

Reason for quest was a bizarre error in a long compile. (never done the long compile with this machine).

To further verify a hunch that it did indeed fix it, I downloaded a prog called "ramspeed" that utilizes the ddr setups of today, and run from command line.(note 5 iterations of 64 gigabyte- system temp climbed to 123F, the memory didn't....)

It brought me close to the 8gb/sec my machine was rated for, with a gain of a full steady 200mbyte/sec.. (photo soon- photobucket locked me out of my own account for a mispelled password)
once upon a p3, what I gained with spreaders was the full speed not all that long ago. To gain it with custom heatspreaders is a laugh.
As a custom builder and all-parts destroyer, the oem offerings of heatspreaders are as bad as the coolers that come with todays cards and cpus.. I wonder if I could make a career out of these Simple Tasks..and hardly a billion dollars. :roll:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:30 am

this is really interesting. Cant' give it anything besides a "huh."

neat :)

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:30 am

I dont even understand what you mean
Do you mean ram heatsinks dont work if that is the case there are reviews showing they work
But you say you made your own heatsinks and tested them if this is the case isnt that your heatsinks dont work

Scoop

Post by Scoop » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:04 am

My RAM heatspreaders work.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Before/after temperature comparison would be what I think many of us are looking for. :wink: