Now I've gone and done it.

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Now I've gone and done it.

Post by aristide1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:27 pm

I should have made a check list first but I didn't. I simply download the Asus Update program and new BIOS from the website and ran them. It said complete and then it asked if I should reboot, I did and I haven't had my monitor work since then. I tried to follow the procedure to reset the BIOS with the Asus CD, and I removed the battery for 2 hours to clear my old settings, but neither one made any difference. Still no screen display, and I don't know why.

:(

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:24 pm

-reset the vid. card, try to boot.
-pull out one of the mem. sticks, same.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:29 pm

mcoleg wrote:-reset the vid. card, try to boot.
-pull out one of the mem. sticks, same.
How did you know that?

murtoz

Re: Now I've gone and done it.

Post by murtoz » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:38 am

aristide1 wrote:... I removed the battery for 2 hours to clear my old settings...
Just checking... did you take the AC power out of the system while doing this? Otherwise that will power the rtc, even when the system is off, and this procedure won't work. Also you don't need to wait 2 hours. A couple of minutes is usually enough.

Also, do you get any beeps? Does the system beep without graphics card or memory? If not, your board/bios is corrupted. There might be a way to recover it (not just reset to defaults) - check with Asus.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:16 am

Wow, what a disaster. Took me 5 hours to recover. No procedure I had worked. I combined aspects of 2 procedures I had in front of me, and then I got it to work.

I updated an Award BIOS on my other machine without any issues. This was the update from hell. No more AMI BIOS for me.

The turning point was to remove the video card and reseat it. I figured that out myself before I read the useful post here. I did that because my ATI video card has been nothing but trouble anyways and everything seemed to be functioning correctly except the video, ie it seemed the pc was booting, but I couldn't see anything.

Worst of all was I didn't gain any new useful settings. :?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Now I've gone and done it.

Post by aristide1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:19 am

murtoz wrote:....Just checking... did you take the AC power out of the system while doing this? Otherwise that will power the rtc, even when the system is off, and this procedure won't work. Also you don't need to wait 2 hours. A couple of minutes is usually enough.

Also, do you get any beeps? Does the system beep without graphics card or memory? If not, your board/bios is corrupted. There might be a way to recover it (not just reset to defaults) - check with Asus.
1. What is rtc? Edited - Real Time Clock - DUH!
2. I realize that 2 hours was not required, I walked away to watch a movie. I was really pissed off.
3. I had no speaker, and frankly I needed one to complete this task, otherwise I'd be RMAing this damn thing back to Asus.

I appreciate everyone's help. People know their stuff here. Asus forums full of people with these problems.

Aris

Edit - Spelling.

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Which is exactly why I don't perform Bios Updates unless they solve an actual problem. Very risky though with the new bios recovery capabilities, it's no longer as bad as it used to be.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:59 pm

I've flashed mutliple Biostar boards and everything was smooth and perfect. Why? No AMI BIOS, they're crap. Phoenix or Award good stuff.