Silent fan case - let me explain !!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gadgetzilla

Silent fan case - let me explain !!

Post by gadgetzilla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 pm

Hello All,

I'm looking to build my own 'laptop cooler' type device. It will go under (or above) my audio receiver.

I'd like to put at least three 120mm PC style 12V silent fans in it, spread out, similarly to what the laptop cooler devices have it,

I don't want to use an inexpensive laptop cooler because the fans are smaller, and run slower since they are powered by the USB port.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Gadgetzilla

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 pm

I've heard of laptops overheating but usually in cases where the laptop is old and has been gunked up with dust. Regular cleaning should do the trick. Other than that, I don't believe you need active cooling. Just stick two little feet in the back corners to raise the laptop. That should be enough to ensure adequate airflow.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:19 am

Any of the recommended fans would do fine. Undervolt any of them by more than a few volts and they're effectively silent in most situations. iirc, Scythe make a slim 120mm fan (20mm as opposed to 25mm thick I think).

Can I ask, how come you need to make a cooler for your receiver? Do you have issues with clearance? The thing is, most hi-fi amps/receivers I've ever seen have nothing but fresh air on the other side of the lid/base, so applying cooling to the case probably wouldn't be nearly as effective as opening it up and mounting a fan internally, attached to or directed at the main power amp heatsink.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:04 am

Aye! It's for your receiver! I got confused.

gadgetzilla

Post by gadgetzilla » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies ;-)

Yes, the 'cooler' will be for my receiver. The clearance in the cabinet is rather tight. I've seen commercial products that do the same but cost $100+ so thought to make something myself for fraction of the cost.

Essentially, I'm looking for a case, a low profile one, around an inch high, that will house three fans, and is about the length and width of a typical audio equipment so I can rest the audio receiver on top of this case.

The fans will be blowing air into it from the bottom.

I thought about gutting out a cheapie $25 DVD player, using its housing and mounting the fans in it, THEN placing that under the receiver ? ;-) Some of these DVD / CD player are pretty low profile, they are about an inch (even less ) thick.....

maf718

Post by maf718 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:02 am

An alternative might be to raise the receiver on some blocks at each corner, and then attach the fans directly to the bottom grill of the receiver. You could use double sided tape or flexible glue, perhaps with some spacers if you want more clearance between the fans and the grill.

gadgetzilla

Post by gadgetzilla » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:09 pm

I found an AC "muffin" fan, its 4 1/2", runs super quiet on a fixed, low speed. Its called a 'QFAN' , <30dba, with a 50CFM. Its working out well.

Gadgetzilla