Thanks for constructing and maintaining this site!

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

GreatScot

Thanks for constructing and maintaining this site!

Post by GreatScot » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:08 pm

I doubt I'll be posting a lot, but after using the SPCR site for a ton of useful information, I thought I'd pass along my thanks.

Basically, I'm finding that my Sempron 1.6GHz system was extremely slow in handling the massive RAW files my new dSLR creates, so I had to upgrade at a budget... my budget already having gone into the SLR and lenses!

I've long been cheezed off at the shake, rattle & hum of my PC's, but hadn't thought too much about it... until starting to research, and finally surfed in to SPCR.

After going through SPCR, I've decided to spend a little more, but rather than get a generic barebones for $500 with the usual noisy components, I'll be shelling out about $750 for such well-regarded parts as:

- Antec P182 (Kudos, Mike... Can't wait to get my hands on it)
- SeaSonic 380W PS (I had no idea that power consumption was down that low now, I'd been thinking of 500+ watts).
- ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme
- Scythe S-Flex 120mm medium speed fan
- Fanless GF8 video card

Interestingly, the only parts I have to special order are the P182, the SeaSonic PS and my fanless video card. My local shop had the massive heat sink and fan, which I wasn't sure they would. They also had the Zalman Fan Mate in stock, which may end up getting attached to a fan in my FreeBSD box.

I'm very much looking forward to my functional, efficient, and above all, quiet future.

-Scot