HP w2408/w2408h monitor

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

HP w2408/w2408h monitor

Post by rpsgc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:14 am

Hello,

Does anyone here has this monitor? The reason I'm asking is that in this review they say that it's noisy.
The HP Pavilion w2408h is not silent, whether in use or when switched off. A humming noise can be heard 10-15 cm from the monitor at the back near the ventilation slots.

When the brightness is at its maximum setting, the humming almost stops, but it can be heard even ay 99 percent. Although the sound does not get louder as the brightness is reduced, its characteristics change – it then sounds like fat sizzling in a pan.
I'd like to hear from people who own it to know whether their monitor was the norm or the exception.

Thanks.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:18 pm

I guess no one has this monitor?

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:46 am

The HP 2408w is a TN, are you sure you want a TN? There are better 24" TNs than this HP. If you want a good 24" by HP, I'd suggest the 2475:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 0-%20Black

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:07 am

Tzupy wrote:The HP 2408w is a TN, are you sure you want a TN? There are better 24" TNs than this HP. If you want a good 24" by HP, I'd suggest the 2475:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 0-%20Black
"Good"? Sure, it would be good if it wasn't full of defects. I am yet to find a LP2475 owner who has no problem with it.

And I believe the OP says "Is this monitor noisy?", not anything else.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:59 am

Sorry, I didn't know that the 2475 has issues. For so long I was waiting for widely available 24" H-IPS that I took my expectations for granted...
The review at Tftcentral doesn't seem to be negative however, quoting and link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Overall I was very impressed by the performance of the LP2475W. While default colour accuracy was pretty poor, once calibrated the screen offered the best colour results we have seen in our reviews. Black depth was excellent for an IPS matrix, and even out-did many PVA matrices we have tested! These were very positive improvements for IPS technology, and hopefully this is a sign of things to come. The screens massive range of ergonomic adjustments and interfaces was also nice to see, and the HP had a very "Dell feel" in terms of finish, functionality and features. Responsiveness was very good, but there was some slight RTC overshoot which caused some dark artefacts in practice. However, the decent pixel responsivenss, combined with pretty good input lag, could make this a good screen for gamers, as well as those wanting an excellent all round performer. If you want a 24" monitor, this is a hard one to beat in my opinion. Given the extreme lack of IPS in this sector, HP are probably on to a winner here.

About the HP 2408h, if the review at Prad says it's noisy, then it's quite noisy, the Prad reviewers aren't very sensitive.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:16 am

Sucks to be him.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... 1033079067

Other people have the same problems on their monitors, not all at once, but at least one.

There is no worse hell than buying a LCD... Whenever I find a relatively good monitor it's either plagued with problems or noisy. Sigh...

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:14 pm

I know this thread is old, but I want to share my experience since I have owned this monitor for almost a year now. I bought it for Christmas 2008.

I have absolutely no noise problems with the w2408h. I have read others complain about a high-pitched whine, but I simply do not hear it. It makes me wonder if it is due to utilizing the speakers built into the monitor. I do not use them since my PC's sound card and speakers handle the sound, and maybe that's why I don't hear any irregular or unnecessary noise from the monitor. That said, even when my PC speakers are off, I hear NO noise from this monitor. I am perfectly pleased with it. The one I own is silent.

The most-needed improvement for this monitor is the level of detail for blacks and grays, but to my understanding, this is an issue for any TN-based panel. Images with dark areas tend to blend, obscuring the finer points of the image.

bientek

Re: HP w2408/w2408h monitor

Post by bientek » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 pm

I have an HP w2408 24" monitor - and it's noisy when you turn the brightness level down. When brightness is set to 100%, it is silent.

Wedge

Re: HP w2408/w2408h monitor

Post by Wedge » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:04 pm

My brightness is at 40 and perfectly silent. I think the default was 80 or so.