Really annoyed with my PC!!!!!!!!!!!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Koolpc

Really annoyed with my PC!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Koolpc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Well, i am really annoyed with my PC guys!! It is getting on my nerves now.

Don't think i can take much more of this.

Just don't know which way to turn?

Problem is:

I CAN'T HEAR THE THING!! lol :D

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:47 am

Very silly post!!!!! (:D)

If you're not going to tell us the spec, list the mods (if any) and pictures!

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:32 am

Heh, actually this is a notable problem. I frequenly don't know if my computer is on or off if the monitor isn't on. Without case lights it's hard to tell. I've frequently hit the power button thinking my computer was off when it was actually on.

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:03 pm

amjedm wrote:Very silly post!!!!! (:D)

If you're not going to tell us the spec, list the mods (if any) and pictures!
Only silly to those who have noisey PC's!! lol

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:22 pm

widowmaker wrote:Heh, actually this is a notable problem. I frequenly don't know if my computer is on or off if the monitor isn't on. Without case lights it's hard to tell. I've frequently hit the power button thinking my computer was off when it was actually on.
If you're referring to the P182 you have, then we know your spec as you've kindly posted in the General Gallery ;) (thank you). Also know the silencing mods you've done (cut out fan grills and Acoustipack).

With regards Koolpc, I haven't a clue what his spec is, neither do I know of the mods (if any he's done) so I can't copy the ideas!

TheAtomicKid

Post by TheAtomicKid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:53 am

Actually, I think I prefer a slight amount of noise from my machine, over total silence. The unfortunate realities of coil whine/electronics noise, means that true dead silence, is VERY hard to achieve. A little white noise from the machine, masks this fairly nicely, if you have any components that generate it.

By 'a little', I'm referring to my current machine level, which can be heard if you're sitting near it. But definitely not easily if say, the AC is running in the house. From across the room it's inaudible.

Plus, a little noise, as opposed to none, allows for some better airflow/cooling options. Aka MORE POWER! :)

Atomic

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:13 am

widowmaker wrote:Heh, actually this is a notable problem. I frequenly don't know if my computer is on or off if the monitor isn't on. Without case lights it's hard to tell. I've frequently hit the power button thinking my computer was off when it was actually on.
My PC is not in the same room with me, but in a walk-in closet. I can not hear it at all from this room, unless I open the door.

Adapt the following sequence to turn your computer on:

1) Turn on the screen.
2) Wave the mouse.
3) only then push the power button

Another option would be to disable power button from turning the system off, so it could only be used to turn the system on, or to press it for 4 seconds to really turn it off. I'm not sure how to do it, but it should be possible.

Yet another option is enable power on by keyboard. Then you never have to touch the power button, but it might or might not increase standby power usage.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:29 am

You see, I'm a very impatient person and find all those steps too slow :P . Luckily I now have a Logitech G15 keyboard and I know if the lights on that are on then my computer's on. I've actually been looking for a way to turn on my computer with my keyboard but have never found any bios setting that allows for that.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Keyboard Start Up

Post by victorhortalives » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:58 am

widowmaker wrote:You see, I'm a very impatient person and find all those steps too slow :P . Luckily I now have a Logitech G15 keyboard and I know if the lights on that are on then my computer's on. I've actually been looking for a way to turn on my computer with my keyboard but have never found any bios setting that allows for that.
I discovered that all 3 of my PC's allow this in the bios. 2x Asrock and 1 Gigabyte. Saves me bending down to press the button and/or fiddling with the P182 door.

Asrocks are : AM2NF3-VSTA and ALiveNF6P-VSTA. Gigabyte is : GA-MA78G-DS3H. Look in the Advanced Settings section.

Only trouble now is that the cats can start the PCs !

MikeHunt79

Re: Keyboard Start Up

Post by MikeHunt79 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:03 am

victorhortalives wrote:Only trouble now is that the cats can start the PCs !
:lol:

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:04 pm

victorhortalives wrote:
widowmaker wrote:You see, I'm a very impatient person and find all those steps too slow :P . Luckily I now have a Logitech G15 keyboard and I know if the lights on that are on then my computer's on. I've actually been looking for a way to turn on my computer with my keyboard but have never found any bios setting that allows for that.
I discovered that all 3 of my PC's allow this in the bios. 2x Asrock and 1 Gigabyte. Saves me bending down to press the button and/or fiddling with the P182 door.

Asrocks are : AM2NF3-VSTA and ALiveNF6P-VSTA. Gigabyte is : GA-MA78G-DS3H. Look in the Advanced Settings section.

What is this setting called? I'd like to find out if my PC supports it.

Moon GT

Post by Moon GT » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:43 am

haha,
when I first silenced my PC I turned it on and was thinking "hmm... there's still some noise there somewhere..."
Then I realised it was the fridge, in the kitchen.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:48 am

Gojira-X wrote:What is this setting called? I'd like to find out if my PC supports it.
You're looking for Wake-on-USB. It's best used with the suspend setting put to S3(STR). Keyboard button press to suspend, slap the space button and you're running again in 10 seconds. The business.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:47 am

Gojira-X wrote:
victorhortalives wrote:

What is this setting called? I'd like to find out if my PC supports it.

On the Asrock it is under : ACPI Settings - PS/2 Keyboard Power On

On the Gigabyte it is under : Power Management Setup - Power On By Mouse - OR - Power On By Keyboard

weboweb

Post by weboweb » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:59 pm

You could just leave Numlock on, so the status notifier on your keyboard is always glowing.