Could i do this....? Modding Enermax to single fan.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Phrozenpenguin

Could i do this....? Modding Enermax to single fan.

Post by Phrozenpenguin » Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:32 am

Great site guys :)
I want to mod my enermex PSU to make it much quieter. The exhaust air is barely warm normally, but noise is excessive after 10mins startup.
I have the PSU in a Yeong Yang server cube case, and it is away from the motherboard. The PSU is mounted with the 90mm fan pointing upwards, on the top, unlike in a normal case. It then has a good 30cm clear space, before it reaches the top of the case. No heat is generated around it.

Soooo.....my idea is scrap the 80mm fan, and replace the 92mm with a quieter one, maybe a panaflo or zalman at 7v. Blowing air upwards, which should work with convection.

Is the idea likely to work - provide enough airflow - keep the bits cool enough? I would be very interested in anyones comments.

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:14 pm

as long as you have a clear path though all the components, that should work.

maybe i'm not quite getting the picture... in any case, you need the air enter from one end and air exiting from the OPPOSITE end... not the adjacent one because i assume then air would pass mostly dead space and not much through the actual components.

your best bet is, take off your top unconventional fan, BLOCK the exit with some material, and change the exit fan with 80mm panaflo or the similiar kind undervolted at 7v.

that should work... if you can, check out the temperature of the psu unit (there is a review written as how we decided to take the psu temperature)... and compare it to our 'normal' readings.

purely passive convention solution has been done, but probably not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing and you have a fairly big heatsink that would take up about 1/4 of the case if not more.

have fun!

shunx

Post by shunx » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:35 pm

For my Enermax 350w, I started by taking out the 80mm and leaving and undervolting the 92mm. Then I replaced the stock 92mm with a Zalman that came with the Zalman CPU cooler, running it at 5V. As I recall it wasn't very quiet. Now I use two 80mm NMBs at 7Vs. I don't dare to go beyond that since I don't know how hot it is yet.

Phrozenpenguin

Post by Phrozenpenguin » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:12 am

Cool, Im gonna have a play this weekend.