As a continuation of my spare cable annihilation programme, I have done some work on my PSU today. Here's the original setup:
The cable layout was:
20+4 pin ATX connector at 475mm
ATX12V connector also 475mm long with a spare 110mm for the second 12V connector which is not needed in this system
470mm long fan speed sensor cable.
This is what it's now like:
I opened the PSU up and cut off the cables for the second ATX12V connector so that it could be removed. I then fed the fan sensor cable down the same braiding as the remaining ATX12V connector as they connect in a similar place at the back of the motherboard. As part of this work I also took the time to remove the fan and clean it. I've left the fan guard off as it is unnecessary in this setup. I also removed the annoying labels on the cables which could get caught in fans.
The cable layout is now:
475mm 20+4 pin ATX connector
475mm ATX12V + 100mm for fan header.
This has meant I've removed 450mm of cables in this mod which has cleared things up a little further.
In total I have now removed:
700mm by disconnecting Firewire, something I have never used
175mm + 280mm in modding the optical disk power cabling to be a single SATA rather than a string of molexes plus a molex-SATA adaptor
Around 250mm from removing the extra PCI-E power connectors
250mm in changing modding the HDD power cabling to have a single SATA connector rather than 3
300mm by using a short SATA cable for the HDD rather than a massively long one
450mm by PSU cable culling/rebraiding
That's a total of 2.4m! In a small case like this that's a massive change.
The only real cable modding left would be to shorten power and fan cables.
As a nice aside to the tidyup which may have improved airflow, the missing PSU fan RPM sensing has returned! Two guesses: either the sensor cable had become dislodged from the plug previously or if the PSU fan connector itself had been dislodged somehow.