Sparkle or Antec ???

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Hookem

Sparkle or Antec ???

Post by Hookem » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:43 pm

I am putting together a part's list for my first Intel P-4 box. I have a 1080Plus Antec in my 1800XP rig. I am going to buy the black Chieftec that is just like my 1080 Antec and was wondering if I should stay with the Antec TruePower 430 or get a Sparkle. I really like the TruePower, but have read that the Sparkles have 1% voltage regulation like PC Power and Cooling. Antec claims 3% voltage regulation. My Athlon box with 3 Antec 80's, 3 Panflo's, a Y.S. Tech adjustable 80, and two Vantec IceBerq's is really quiet (too me) unless I turn the Y.S. Tech on the Alpha 8045 up. I really cannot stand loud box's as my first couple were "swifty-delta" equipped rigs. I can still hear them screaming. Really am at a loss...Would like PC Power and Cooling specs, but not at the expense of my ears ringing... :?:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:48 am

Im pretty sure i would take a true power over a sparkle, but thats just me.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:32 pm

All the Sparkles I've heard are not too quiet and I've never heard of them having 1% voltage regualtion. They do have a pretty decent reputation though.

I'd definitely go with the TruePower if you value silence. Don't forget that the TruePowers have those "fan-only" low voltage power connectors that you can plug your case fans into if you want. They run at just over 5V at their slowest setting.

Nesto

actually...

Post by Nesto » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:48 pm

if my thinking is correct the Sparkles FSP3xx are supposed to be really good. I THINK. www.tomshardware.com recently had a 21 psu comparison and Verax and Fortron came out on top. Verax doesn't sell here in US but according to some, if you look at specs and part numbers of the Verax with SparklePower, Fortron and AOpen they're the same. I haven't checked myself but I hope they're right because i'm looking for a good psu rite now but I dont' want to pay Antec' prices.

rommi

fortron / verax

Post by rommi » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:25 am

The Sparkles are indeed Fortron Source power supplies.

However, the PSU in the review at TomsHardware, is a "modified" fortron source, by Verax. The fan inside this PSU is one of Verax's temperature control fans.

I want one, but its expensive.
Its listed here, as the Verax PRO, and is 109 euros.

http://www.silentmaxx.de/netzteilfortron.shtml

tridion

Post by tridion » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:41 am

I have used a couple of sparkles and they were not particularly quiet at all.

I now have an Antec in one machine and a Q Technology in the other - both of these are much quieter.

If you dont need much power for extra cards, etc morex sell their external power supply (the ones used in the mini-itx cubid cases). Not sure how you attach it to an ATX case though (anybody know ?). Only provides about 55W tho - but I have run a cely 1200, cuda IV 80gb, tosh dvd, and ATI All In Wonder from one with no probs.

Queue

Post by Queue » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:23 am

Add my vote to the Antec TruePower tally.

I've set up 4 boxes recently using the TP330. The Fan Only circuit is great.

Q