My NSK4480B server!

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nd4spdbh

My NSK4480B server!

Post by nd4spdbh » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:52 pm

OK heres my server i just finished swaping over from a pos case to a nice sexy Antec NSK4480B. its definietly a sweet lil case! espically when i got it and an antec earthwats 380 for 16 dollars outta my pocket at best buy!!! The key to my server is it being quiet for 2 reason. 1 if my dad hears it he will have me turn it off, 2 if i hear it at night (have way good hearing) even though its at the other end up the upstairs i wont be able to sleep... so its QUIET, and with this case by far much quieter than with my other case.

There are 3 fans total, an ADDA 80mm low speed ball bearing fan that i put in the psu thats thermaly controled. then 2 120mm antec tri cools being fed 7v, with the speed switch on medium... they spin SLOW!

Specs - P4 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb Northwood @ 3.0ghz undervolted from 1.525v down to 1.225v, 2x512mb of pc3200, gforce 4 mx 420, Zalman 400w psu, Hitachi P7K500 500gb hd.

PICS

If you look at the rear 120mm exaust closely you will notice screws running all the way through each corner... this is because i used antec silicone HD gromets out of a p180 to disconnect the rear fan from the case.

Hiding the cables in lil spots... also ran a coupla cables down the back behind the mobo tray... mainly 4 pin molex to power the fans / hd, and the 12v 4pin for the mobo.

When i got the case i was kinda bummed that the only front intake fan option was an 80mm but upon some staring at the case, i realized... screw the front intake, block off the lower one so air gets pulled by the hd cooling it. So cool air can only come in the lower side and from right in front of the HD, the way i have it setup is genius temps only went up 1*c across the board with this new case thats almost completly shut up. As compared to the previous case that had no pci slot cover, a 120mm intake and various other open spots. and because this new case is closed up like it is, my god its nice and quiet.

Also blocked off the upper intake duct vent on the side pannel... gotta love duct tape (this side of the comp faces a wall 6inchs from the wall so no need for it to look purdy.

And if you were looking closely you might notice that my hd is levetating... its not i just went crazy with the stretch magic to suspend the thing... the whole package came out SICK

tuz

Post by tuz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Was gonna say good job but looking at your HD when it's out of the case, there doesn't seem to be anything stopping it sliding out of your suspension... then I realised that the HD outside the case is an IDE and the one inside is a SATA with stretch magic wrapped around the screws to hold it in.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:58 am

ya i added the screws for a lil extra saftey, but really the stretch magic holds the hd real good... you could tip it on end and it wouldnt slide out at all even without the screws.

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:10 am

Out of curiosity, why did you tape off the side intake? Wouldn't having the side intake directly over the heatsink help cool your CPU since you are using a top-down heatsink?

I am using an NSK4480 also, but with Ultima-90 tower heatsink. Taping off the side intake does help airflow a bit in my case.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:56 pm

nyu3 wrote:Out of curiosity, why did you tape off the side intake? Wouldn't having the side intake directly over the heatsink help cool your CPU since you are using a top-down heatsink?

I am using an NSK4480 also, but with Ultima-90 tower heatsink. Taping off the side intake does help airflow a bit in my case.
I taped off the upper side intake so that air would have to come in from the bottom and up the motherboard. But also so that it wasnt too easy for the exhaust fan to suck air out of the case, thus not sucking any air in the front over the hd.

Essientally the lower side intake makes it to where air is evenly pulled from the front hd intake and the lower side.... if i left both open or just the top on the side, there wouldnt of been enough flow over the hd cus air woulda too easily been pulled through.

Over the past coupla weeks i also did some simple modifications to the front plastic face plates so that air can flow much easier to the hd intake... without disturbing the look at all.