SG01B-F/NT06/ST50EF-Plus-SC vs NSK3480 acoustics

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chero

SG01B-F/NT06/ST50EF-Plus-SC vs NSK3480 acoustics

Post by chero » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:11 am

Is it possible for a SG01B-F/NT06-Lite/ST50EF-Plus-SC combo with maybe one 80mm Nexus/Other to compete with the NSK3480 in terms of quietness?

I previously had a NSK3480 (bone stock, including stock AMD CPU cooler), and I was happy with how quiet it was (even more so with a better CPU fan).

Main Components:
AMD 4850E CPU
Gigabyte 740G/780G motherboard
WD 320G hard drive

I haven't been able to find many comments on acoustics of the SG01. It would seem that the SG01B-F with only two quiet fans would be pretty darn quiet!? But I wonder about all the holes in both sides of the case.

chero

Post by chero » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:04 pm

Well, I built the system and I'm happy to say it is very quiet. The only fan running is the PSU fan.

Details:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e
Gigabyte GA-MA740GM-S2
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Silverstone NT06-Lite heatsink
Silverstone ST50EF-Plus-SC (Short Cable)
Western Digital WD3200AAKS

The case is very nice appearance-wise. Steel construction is nice. Not quite as sturdy as an Antec case.

Pros:
- Appearance
- Steel construction
- ST50EF-Plus-SC short cables (but also means this PSU can't be transferred to many other cases)
- Using PSU fan to cool CPU works well for me

Cons:
- SG01-F motherboard stand-offs didn't line up along right side
- SG01-F ground wire not connected (where does this go???)
- SG01-F expansion slot shields rattle when bumped, but don't seem to be a problem with the system running
- ST50EF-Plus-SC only had one cable with two SATA power connectors and did not include any adapters
- NT06-Lite had to be bent to fit (pipes hit memory)

I can hear the WD3200AAKS if I put my ear up to the side of the case. This is my first Western Digital drive in ages, and I'm happy so far. Despite the SG01-F not having rubber HDD insulators/grommets, I don't notice any HDD vibration transferring through the case. The mounting mechanism isn't totally direct though, so this may be helping.

Coming from an Asus M2A-VM, I'm definitely more impressed with the Gigabyte GA-MA740GM-S2 in every way.

I still really like the NSK3480, and I hope Antec is able to improve it somehow. When I build another system, I think I'd go the NSK3480 route again to try a few things I wasn't able to last time.

Anyway, good work Silverstone, and Antec! These are definitely the first two cases that I've really been happy with building, using, and transporting. :)
Last edited by chero on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:02 am

I think the ground wite is ment to use with some motherboard attachment screws... Or M3 screws used for Optical drives...