Recycle your old socket 478 coolers

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

yamawho

Recycle your old socket 478 coolers

Post by yamawho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:38 am

Many of us have extra parts which are gathering dust.

This may be an interesting solution to reuse an old socket 478 heat sink and fan.

Hear are some socket 478 coolers from my junk drawer a OCZ, CoolerMaster Aero and a standard Intel.

I used one of these Thermalright LGS775RM kits shown here

After installing on the motherboard, I noticed the brackets prevented installation of any of the 3 heat sinks. The problem was they prevented the heat sinks from seating on the cpu. In all fairness the kit is for Thermalright SI/XP-120 and XP90 models. To make them fit I used a hand grinder and ground off the 4 areas which were in the way. In the following pic I am holding an unmodified bracket over the finished one.

I installed the Cooler Master Aero after the bracket mod ...

Here it is again in the finished system. The e6300 cpu is running at 32C idle and up to 43C under load. I lowered the rpm of the fan to 2700 RPM from the 3900 RPM top speed.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:08 am

A lot of effort for a damned loud cooler, the Aero is one of the loudest coolers I have ever used, and I would never use it even on its lowest settings, I believe I flung the heatsink, and kept the fan, incase I needed some serious throughput in an 80mm area at some point.

Andy

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:03 am

andyb wrote:A lot of effort for a damned loud cooler, the Aero is one of the loudest coolers I have ever used, and I would never use it even on its lowest settings, I believe I flung the heatsink, and kept the fan, incase I needed some serious throughput in an 80mm area at some point.

Andy
I agree on the loudness but at 2700 RPM it's OK for the test rig it's installed in.
At 3900 RPM it's as loud as a HD 4870 with the fan at 100%.

The OCZ cooler is even louder if you can believe it.

However, the Aero cooler was not the focus of the article ...

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Nice recycling effort :D

There's no reason we shouldn't continue to use old tech in new systems if it's still functional (well, maybe not CRTs!). Considerations like energy savings are usually blown away by the manufacturing overhead.

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:30 am

The OCZ looks like it has a 70mm YSTech TMD2 fan.
I am not surprised that it is noisy. I had a Vantec Aeroflow that used a TMD2 fan and it was both sensitive to exterior vibrations and made a whole load of its own in addition to being noisy. In the end I found a person willing to buy the cooler from me on ebay, so all is good in the end.

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Let it be noted that those are beautiful photographs.

colm

Post by colm » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 pm

exquisite photography indeed.

hey. instead of hacking the infamous thermalright 775 convertor..why not get an infamous thermalright cooler to go with it.

my max rpm on a reverse cooled xp90 and a 103w prescott 3.4e is 2556 rpm....(92mm fan)..and before the 3.43 was 2.8e oc'd..same setup, 16300 hours. Because something lasts in this modern pc world, does not mean its old, or recycled..if it never stopped working. Kinda like an 87 sube it seems, the closest yet anyway....

it goes a looooong time with no cleaning, and when it does get it, its a quick job.

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:44 am

colm wrote:exquisite photography indeed.

hey. instead of hacking the infamous thermalright 775 convertor..why not get an infamous thermalright cooler to go with it.
Thanks guys

Actually I do have a XP-120 that is mounted on a P4C800e deluxe.
I might be recycling that one soon ...