Scythe Ninja 2: Tweaking a Classic

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Scythe Ninja 2: Tweaking a Classic

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 am

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:41 am

Pretty much what I'd figured. Nothing they do seems to beat the original, but is it due to the mounting or something else? Maybe a bolt-through mount might be tested as a followup? And maybe some numbers with a 1200rpm Slipstream slowed to 1000rpm (9v, I think) to see any departure from the Nexus? It's seems only fair to test the HSF combo with a similar fan to the one included in the box. I don't expect the number to show anything different, mind you, just a recommendation.

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 am

Nice review Lawrence, especially considering the ho-hum nature of another ninja-clone tower cooler. That picture of the motherboard bending scares me. As I understand, your test bench doesn't involve screwing it flat again, like it would be if it was installed in a case. It seems like doing that would re-focus the tension of the push-pins back around the socket area. I have no idea if that would be more or less potentially damaging, however.

I wonder why they didn't just send you the backplate kit?

Brians256

Small spelling error

Post by Brians256 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:12 am

The Nexus fan is usually inaudbile at 9V or less unless the ambient noise level is very low as it is in our anechoic chamber.
Just change the spelling to "inaudible" and it should be fine. Otherwise, good article. I appreciate the balanced conclusion that (as usual) exposes weaknesses without denying any of the positive aspects that exist.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 am

While the AMD clip might not be anything to write home about, as far as I know, most every AMD heatsink uses tension clips and they seem to work pretty well. I know you said that it isn't a "Top 5" heatsink, but what about for AMD? Several of the "Top 5" aren't really usable on AMD because they face the wrong way (e.g. HR-01 without 'S' clip, Xigmatech 1283, etc.). Where would it fall on a "Top AMD Heatsink" list? With the positioning issues of AM2 heatsinks, why isn't there a separate heatsink list?

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:11 am

Disappointing, as i've come to expect from scythe heatsinks. They could get away with it a few years go when they were really the only good choice, now thermalright and xigmatek both have better heatsinks with better mounting options.

The only thing scythe seems to do well lately are make quiet fans.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 am

Ch0z3n wrote:While the AMD clip might not be anything to write home about, as far as I know, most every AMD heatsink uses tension clips and they seem to work pretty well. I know you said that it isn't a "Top 5" heatsink, but what about for AMD? Several of the "Top 5" aren't really usable on AMD because they face the wrong way (e.g. HR-01 without 'S' clip, Xigmatech 1283, etc.). Where would it fall on a "Top AMD Heatsink" list? With the positioning issues of AM2 heatsinks, why isn't there a separate heatsink list?
Are the clips that great? I've heard many tales of the little nubs breaking off the AMD retention module - far more than push-pins.

We can't say how good an AMD heatsink is without testing it on an AMD platform. And if we built a whole new platform for it, the effect of 'incorrect' positioning would be moot on an open test platform. Facing the wrong way doesn't make it unusable, not ideal maybe, but certainly not usuable. We'd be obligated to test it inside a case and so we'd have to consider whether the extra man-hours are worth it...

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:56 am

I've never heard about them breaking under any normal usage. I can't compare them all that much since I've never used push-pins, but from reading reviews etc. it is a lot more idiot proof and easier to make sure you get good even pressure.

First of all it seems a bit odd to only be doing testing for one of the major processor companies. But you wouldn't necessarily need to do closed case testing on all of them. Do some closed case testing on one that can face either way (e.g. Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer) and see how much difference it makes to face in the wrong direction. If it is fairly noticeable, then you just wouldn't have ones that face the wrong way on the "Top AMD Heatsink" list. If it turns out that the orientation makes little to no difference, then ones that face the right way would just win on tiebreakers.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 pm

The question of orientation is not about CPU cooling; it's about how much louder the PSU in your system might run if the CPU fan is blowing into it.

So it would affect cooling performance results not a whit, and the impact on PSU noise is so system dependent.

The bottom line here is that a HS that allows the fan to blow in the direction of the back exhaust fan is preferable to one that doesn't, but it's not a prerequisite to good performance, and it may not have any affect on noise. For example, if you have a low power 45W AMD CPU and a good 400W PSU with a high hinge ramp up speed/temp, probably no difference in noise at all.

Finally, also testing on an AMD platform would certainly increase the complexity of our test procedures. I'd be loathe to do both. There's enough info in the reviews already. The only real benefit would come when/if the mounting for AM2 is much better or worse than that for the 775. Usually, we comment whenever we see strengths or weaknesses with AMD mounting.

The original underlying assumption of our testing was that the 775 socket mounting systems are worse, and vary more than AM2 mounting systems. I think that assumption remains reasonably valid today. If a HS does well on 775, there's no reason to believe it wouldn't do just as well on AM2.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Ah, good point MikeC. In a p182 where the PSU is on the bottom anyway, it wouldn't make a lick of difference if it points up instead of back? Like, it wouldn't mess up air flow or anything?

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:56 pm

It will be interesting to see what people make of this in six months time, at which point any quality/manufacturing problems should be apparent. The old ones seemed very poorly built considering the price.

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:25 pm

I think the bundled fan makes it really an attractive alternative, the only cooler with a fan quiet enough for us to use.

I've had it running since this summer and I'm amazed of the quality of the cooler, maybe not a top performer at 12V but who really cares about high airflow performance since most of us run all fans at 5-7 volts. Unfortunately the cost has increased a bit in Sweden so for the moment a HR01-plus is cheaper even with a added fan.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Great review, very informative (as usual).

As somebody above noted, it would be very interesting to compare results with the CPU cooler stabilizer 775 kit, maybe you could add a postscript if you get the kit in for testing. Even if it is not practical to redo the temperature testing, a quick examination of the ease (or otherwise) of installation would be very useful for potential purchasers.

On a personal note I was shopping for a new cooler this week and after using pushpins for the last couple of years I never wish to see them again; had the Ninja 2 been supplied with the 775 kit as standard it would have been my first choice, but it wasn't so I spent my money on a Thermalright heatsink instead.

According to the Scythe EU marketing department they are planning to release some heavier coolers which use the backplate mounting as standard next year:
Hello Mr. Bxxxxx,

thanks a lot for your questions.

Actually, it is not planned to include the CPU Cooler Stabilizer 775 in existing packages but a backplate-mounting will be included in coolers coming in 2009 which are heavier than it is good for the PushPin-system. Intel certified these PushPins for Coolers with a weight more ~1,3 kg, so we are inside of this with all of our coolers expect Ninja CU and Orochi.

If you don’t trust the PushPins, you could upgrade your Cooler with the Stabilizer 775 Kit.

Kind regards and greetings from Hamburg,

Stefan Wxxxxxxxx

Marketing und Support
I look forward to the SPCR review.

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:21 am

What a waste. I guess I should just be glad I picked up the copper unit with a proper mounting system when I had the chance. It's really a shame Scythe hasn't been able to build on their early success.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 am

Hiya,

I wonder what it would take to have a bolt-through kit with the screws going through the back of the motherboard (with threaded holes on the bracket on the Ninja 2's base)?

TMM

Post by TMM » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:13 am

Are you sure your Ninja Rev.B isn't defective? Using the same fan (Nexus Real Silent 1000rpm) my Ninja Rev.B is no more then 5ºC hotter then my Ultra-120 Extreme. So it should be about 3ºC hotter then the Ninja v1. For it to be 6-10ºC higher seems... excessive.
I tested this on a OC'ed Opteron 170 which would be 120Watt+.

Either that or your Ninja v1 is a freak or my TRUE120 sucks (doubtful as the temperature at the base is the same as the fins/heatpipes, i.e. no heatpipes are broken).

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:32 am

Since the Ninja+ rev.B gains 4-5 degrees when mounted with bolt-through I would believe the same could be true for the Ninja2.
Unfortunately, I couldn't test this myself: I bought a Ninja2 and a bolt-through kit, but my mother lost the Ninja2 while carrying the bag to the car.
I doubt I would have been able to mount the Ninja2 with the Thermalright bolt-through kit, since there's simply too little space.
I ended up reinstalling my SI-128 with the bolt-through kit, enough to gain back the degrees lost due to the lower spinning fan of my new Enermax 82+ PSU.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:06 pm

You can use a bolt-thru kit, but it'll be tough to tighten. You'd have to rotate it with a wrench or pliers... do they make L shaped screwdrivers? :lol:

guises

Post by guises » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Think someone mentioned in another thread that you should use a Xigmatech bolt-thru kit in lieu of the Thermalright not fitting.
bozar wrote:I think the bundled fan makes it really an attractive alternative, the only cooler with a fan quiet enough for us to use.
Now that isn't true - Noctua bundles their fans with their heatsinks. Nexus does too, though I haven't heard anything positive about their heatsinks.

niels007

Post by niels007 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:41 pm

While the original Ninja has those gaps in the fins, this one hasn't. With the original and a Thermalright BoltThru kit, you can insert a long screwdriver through the gaps and tighten the screws.

I can't see how you could use the same Thermalright BoltThru kit on this one, as you have nowhere to stick a screwdriver and tighten the screws..

Perhaps a hex bolt might do so you can stick a small wrench in from the side.. Certainly won't accept any screwdrivers ''from the top''! I'm pretty sure the mobo bending is acceptable, but this effectively decreases heatsink contact pressure, and it might worsen over time. And it looks bad. :)

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:13 pm

Perhaps a hex bolt might do so you can stick a small wrench in from the side
Nice idea, anyone know the diameter of the screws in the thermalright bolt thru kit? M3?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:53 pm

Peoples have reported in SPCR that Xigmatek's Crossbow volthru-kit can be used with Ninja 2, as they have mini wrench attachment and mini wrench comes with the box, no need for a screwdriver in that part...

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:32 am

@Lawrence Lee: I already mentioned in the forums that a 90 degrees angled screwdriver would be handy. Link to Wolfcraft product:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-degre ... 76&sr=8-29
But I doubt even that would fit between the Thermalright kit and the Ninja2. I think the new Scythe CPU Cooler Stabilizer 775 is the way to go.

KorruptioN

Post by KorruptioN » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Aside from the difficulty accessing the screws, has anybody gotten this heatsink to work with Thermalright's bolt-thru kit? The bad mounting (more so the lack of slots to fit a screwdriver) really is a significant turn-off for me.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:04 am

Tzupy wrote:my mother lost the Ninja2 while carrying the bag to the car.
Please do elaborate :shock:

burebista

Post by burebista » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:04 am

I have a guy in our forums who did a DYI mount with nuts, fittings and screws (it's in Romanian but it has some pictures).
Q9450 @3.2GHz, max. 67°C in Linpack. Fanless. His setup.
Bottom line, a very good heatsink but with a TR Bolt-Thru kit, Scythe Stabilizer, Xigmatek Crossbow or DYI nuts and screws.

Thanks for review SPCR.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:16 am

Ch0z3n wrote:Several of the "Top 5" aren't really usable on AMD ... Where would it fall on a "Top AMD Heatsink" list?
That's my thinking as well.
Not only may there be problems regarding facing; many heatsinks don't even come with an AMD mounting anyway.

I have socket 939, and Ninja 2 is one of the few available high performance hetasinks that expressively support that socket.

(BTW, can it be assumed that any HS designed for AM2 will fit 939? I've seen hints towards that direction, but nothing definitive.)

Cheers
Olle

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:17 am

Hypernova, my mother was carrying a bag with the Enermax Modu82+ 525W at the bottom and the Scythe Ninja2 on top.
I was carrying another bag with various stuff and an APC BE550GR which is a bit heavy.
When I wanted to get the Ninja2 from the car I couldn't find it, searched all over the car, no luck. It's lost... :(

niels007

Post by niels007 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:39 am

Its pretty big, sure you didn't have to look into the Ninja to find the car? :)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:30 pm

jhhoffma wrote:Pretty much what I'd figured. Nothing they do seems to beat the original, but is it due to the mounting or something else?
There are two big differences between the original Ninja (rev A) and later ones: the mounting system, and the base/heatpipe junction.

I am the happy owner of a rev A Ninja, which has performed flawlessly for several years on a bunch of CPUs and motherboards. Its backplate mounting system is certainly a plus.

But typically overlooked in these reviews is how heat gets from the base to the heat pipes. In the Rev A, the pipes are mashed and also soldered to the base. In the Copper, they are neither. I'm not sure about the Ninja 2.

Less important, but probably important nonetheless, is how the heat pipes are connected to the fins. Again, on the Rev A, they are soldered. Later versions use friction press fitting. This can't help either.

These factors, I think, account for why the true competitor to the original Ninja is not a later Ninja, but the Xigmatek.