Water Cooled Ram

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

[email protected]

Water Cooled Ram

Post by [email protected] » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi all
i have just installed a water cooled system into my computer.
trouble is now, the RAM is too hot to touch! I suspect the CPU fan was providing enough airflow to keep things cool in the past.
I don't overclock the ram, but it is 1066 DDR2. so it is naturally quite fast and hot.

i have found a few water cooled products about, but either they are a bit naf, like the thermaltake, or not available here in australia - like the Koolance

i have been trying to make my own out of perspex and aluminium, but i cant water proof it sufficiently.

has anyone made their own ?

regards
P.
[/b]

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:05 pm

What type of water-cooling do you use? If you have an entirely external radiator, you still need to have at least a single slow case fan installed to cool off all the random little chips in the system (the RAM probably isn't the hottest thing in there if you feel around).

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:28 am

If I were to do my own RAM coolers I'd by copper heat spreaders and then solder some copper pipes to them.

Cheers
Olle

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:03 pm

tehcrazybob wrote:What type of water-cooling do you use? If you have an entirely external radiator, you still need to have at least a single slow case fan installed to cool off all the random little chips in the system (the RAM probably isn't the hottest thing in there if you feel around).
i have built a custom case that houses a 24 cm radiator and has an inbuilt water reservoir . i use two 12 cm fans that push air out of the case - i run the fans very slowly off the 5v rail. and cpu cooling couldnt be better.

RAM is the only thing that is hot as i water cool the cpu and graphics. when i say hot, i mean i cant touch it after it has been on a few hours. no other components heat up. i have a gigabyte mother board with loads of copper heat pipes on the northbridge etc.
hooking into the water cooling system wont be a problem - the pump is very good. and in any case only a dribble of water is needed to keep the system cool.
i am trying to avoid fans to make everything quiet. i am currently using a fan to protect the hardware.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:25 pm

I know this isn't quite what you are looking for, but if watercooled RAM doesn't pan out, have a look at coolers along the lines of these[thermalright.com].

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Blue_Sky wrote:I know this isn't quite what you are looking for, but if watercooled RAM doesn't pan out, have a look at coolers along the lines of these[thermalright.com].
thanks - they look great and i can order them in australia. i have to tell you, i have been thinking far too much about this.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 am

Did you remove all the fans when you installed the watercooling? :)

Its always smart to have some airflow, to keep RAM and VRM's reasonably cool.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Wibla wrote:Did you remove all the fans when you installed the watercooling? :)

Not to mention HDD's.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:57 pm

FartingBob wrote:
Wibla wrote:Did you remove all the fans when you installed the watercooling? :)

Not to mention HDD's.
What cools the PSU?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:23 pm

i have an anetc phantom PSU. this PSU has a fan, but i have not been able to make it come on. this PSU was recommended on this forum. brilliant.

i made a custom hard drive enclosure. suspending the hard drives onbungee cord keeps the hard drives both cool and quiet. email me for a pic.

there are two extraction fans ie 2x12cm fans running at 5v to cool the radiator which will suck some air from the case - but these fans are running slowly and are not too noisy.
once again thanks for your interest. i have ordered the ram heat pipes and see how they go.

pete
[/img]

MagisD

Post by MagisD » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:42 am

What your looking for is

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7039/ ... tl=g30c225

or

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5131/ ... tl=g30c225

Perosnally I'd go with the koolance, they make some things very well