Addonics' USB-to-NAS adapter

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dougz

Addonics' USB-to-NAS adapter

Post by dougz » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:22 pm

This fanless little US$55 gizmo could replace a server for some folks:
- Enables any USB hard drive to be placed onto a network for network access
- USB port can be used to power most 2.5" USB hard drives (1.5A@5V)
- SMB (Server Message Block) and the open source Samba network protocols
- Support Samba server for up to 64 concurrent clients.
- Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux clients
- FAT32
- Can also be used as a print server or as a Bit-Torrent downloading appliance
- Size slightly longer than a C size battery (70 x 32 x 24) mm or (2.75 x 1.25 x .94) in.
- Can be set as DHCP server or client
- FTP server for up to 8 concurrent users.
- 10/100 Ethernet, no GB
- Power consumption: 200mA @ 5V

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/11/addo ... ow-networ/
http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nasu2.asp

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 pm

dougz

Post by dougz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:01 am

Nice unit. Some common functions, some different functions.

But $60??? You really believe in Mail In Rebates? The Easter Bunny? Father Christmas? ;-)

I love NewEgg, but I'm always dubious about MIRs.

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:25 am

Dunno, I don't even live in the US so I've never used a MIR.
Are they that bad?

Anyway, it's quite popular, but don't expect any good transfer speeds.

dougz

Post by dougz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:53 am

Mats wrote:Dunno, I don't even live in the US so I've never used a MIR.
Are they that bad?.
Nothing against the ASUS device. As you say, it is quite popular. Mail In Rebates are another matter.

MIRs are always chancy. The reputable vendors, like NewEgg, are somewhat less chancy. Others, like TigerDirect, have a bad reputation WTR rebate fulfillment.

One of the firms handling NewEgg rebates went bankrupt recently. viewtopic.php?t=51118

I rarely buy anything with an MIR unless the price is reasonable without the MIR. On 1 Nov., I bought some memory and promptly sent in all of the MIR paperwork. Got an email from the fulfillment house 17 Nov. Still haven't seen a check. The price was OK without the rebate; getting it would be a bonus.

I always assume that the MIR may or may not come, even if I comply perfectly with the Terms and only deal with reputable vendors. I find that I do eventually get most rebates, but only after a considerable delay.

To me, MIRs are not a prime consideration in making a purchasing decision. Better avoided.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:33 am

I like the Idea of having a ftp server with just the addonics and a drive!

/

MIR's = PITA
Ive actually walked out of stores after repeatably asking sales reps to not mention MIR prices.

One thing you can count on when sending MIR's is plenty of xtra spam.

dougz

Post by dougz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:42 am

xan_user wrote:I like the Idea of having a ftp server with just the addonics and a drive!
Yeah, that's why I posted it. Silent and it only sips power. No risk of exposing main machine on net. FTP or bittorrent client, or...
xan_user wrote:One thing you can count on when sending MIR's is plenty of xtra spam.
Never thought of that. You're probably right. Gmail has excellent spam filters. ;-)

I've had a running battle with a large company called ProFlowers. They have a Privacy Policy and numerous affiliated companies. Order something (decent flowers) and you get spam. From all of their affiliated companies. Opt out of each. Order more flowers, get new spam from all, opt out... Lather, rinse, repeat.

No more flower orders from me. Why would a company would spend large money advertising on radio/print and then try hard to piss off customers by not competently managing customer mail preferences? Most companies know better.