I'm in the game!
The schedule so far:
: Decided that I wanted a new pc.
2008-09-14: All components decided upon and ordered.
(...two months waiting for shg.dk to ship an HR-01, eventually cancelled and bought from inet.se instead...)
2008-12-10: All parts are finally in my home! Just need a bit of time ...
2008-12-12: Home alone -- play time! Tore open all the boxes, started putting stuff together...
2008-12-13: It's just past midnight. The pc is is the other room, powered on, idling at 26*C. I have yet to boot my brand new PC-BSD installation.
Oh yes, I know the tradition: pictures
Here are all the parts, still in their boxes. The parts list is in my old thread
A bit later, everything is unboxed. Yay!
Here's a (much later) shot of the innards. The fans are
running (flash freeze).
Some assorted notes:
* I'm hungry! Haven't had dinner yet, too busy playing with my new erector set...
* I like
the look of the shiny black PSU! A shame I'll never look at it again...
* Cablegami is hard
. The 8-pin plug above the CPU was nigh on impossible to place, must have taken me 10 minutes. Phew. Also, I had to use an old round IDE cable, because I couldn't make the flat one fit right. Sadly, all the SATA power plugs from the PSU are on the same cable which was a bit inconvenient, but I could make it work (I won't be able to power an additional drive, though).
* The HR-01 Plus is tall
! Even in a case like this, there's not more than a centimetre between it and the (here shown open) side panel.
* The case temp at idle is reportedly 35*C, the CPU temp is 28*C.
* The graphics card idles at 52*C.
* The PSU fan is running at ~430 rpm (yes, lower rear holes taped shut). The two top/rear fans are currently hardwired to 12V; I plan to put these on 7V when I have a better idea of the temperatures. It does not seem I'll be getting rpm figures for these, as the mobo only has fan headers for PCM fans (except for the PSU). These are the only fans in the system right now; I've taken out the lower fan, too. I have a third Nexus ready, but as it turned out the space seemed better used for cables. We shall see what it does with temps down there (hoping SMART will be able to tell me).
* It seems the mobo is running on all 6 phases, even at idle. I suspect there's something in the bios (or a driver?) I have still to configure.
* I intend to run BSD on this box, looking forward to fiddling with temp sensors and SMART monitoring. Will try to configure the two large disks as a raid ... but probably not this side of x-mas.
* I have parts left over. Who knew that Nexus fans came with a set of silicone mounts? Or that the HR-01 Plus actually does have a backplate for the 775 version. Not me...
More notes later. Feeeeed meeeeee!