Finally, I got to upgrade my rig... Antec Sonata Plus 550

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:07 am

My new video card is here. And of course, I just happen to have a camera handy.

It's friggin' huge! One of the main reasons I went with this one over the GTX 260 was because the GTX 260 supposedly didn't fit in my case with out some bending or cutting. I didn't want any of that.

Notice how long the card is. It's exactly as long as my ATX mainboard. That's 9.6" or 243.8 mm.

I had to use the Molex-PCIe power addapter because I couldn't find my extra cables for my PSU. I wish Antec would've known how easily I lose stuff and not made their NeoHE 550 PSU a modular unit. I guess I'll be placing an order from Antec soon. I'll definitely be trying to tidy up my cables soon.

My girlfriend actually placed the order for me with her ATM card. In with the order, I was surprised to find her belated Christmas gift to me. It's an awesome game. Thank you Chrissie.

The first 2 things I learned about the HD4870 after installing it were that it's loud, and hot. Without any drivers at an idle desktop, the card was idling at 69C. After drivers and manual fan control, It was idling at 45C with the fan at 40%. I ran Furmark 1.6 with automatic fan speed and within minutes it had hit 90C. I stopped it right there.

I had read many Newegg user reviews on all the available HD4870 cards and most said that anything more than 50% fan speed is loud. I had forgotten that sound sensitivity is subjective. My 7900GS wasn't really quiet by any means, but it wasn't distractingly loud. Actually, behind my 120mm and 2x 92mm fans at 12v, plus the Intel OEM heatsink, it's hard to distinguish. The Radeon 4870 is very noticeable at anything more than 25% fan speed. And my computer is quiet, but not SPCR quiet. To combat the issue of temps vs noise, I'm going to be ordering my Scythe Musashi, and Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + bolt-thru kit. My rig will soon be quieter, and OC'd.

I was planning on getting my Asus Xonar D2 sound card, but the HD4870 really pushed upgrading the heatsinks in my computer to a new level of priority. I'm ordering the stuff today. so I'll have more to update on come beginning of next week.
Last edited by that Linux guy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:25 pm

me likey that graphics card. might be time to upgrade your mouse tho :P

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Fayd wrote:me likey that graphics card. might be time to upgrade your mouse tho :P
I've had my eye on the Logitech G5 for nearly 3 years now. By the time I get around to actually upgrading my mouse, it'll have long since been discontinued.

I got that mouse for $7 at a computer shop I worked at some years ago. It's been working for quite some time now.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Nice video card.

Edit: Let us know how you get on with the Scythe Musashi. It did quite well in test of 4870 coolers at X-bit labs, Turbo Twins and a Swordsman: New VGA Coolers Reviewed, I think they rated it the best. :)
Last edited by maf718 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:11 am

Done, and done. Good call mag718, Thank you.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:35 am

Just an update. I've installed some new coolers on the CPU, GPU, and northbridge.

The fans on the S1283 and the Musashi are quiet. The Musashi is noticeable on high, but I can comfortably keep it on low and still keep temps in check. I'm still wanting to swap the slim Kaze Jyu fans for the standard size models. They have the same dBA ratings, same airflow ratings, but half the speed, and more air pressure.

The Xigmatek PWM fan never gets above 900rpm. It's dead silent. Right now the loudest thing in my PC are my 2x 92mm Nexus intake fans. They're not loud, but I can hear the most rushing air sound from them. My immediate plans are the Kaze Jyu fans a a fan controller, and some simple, white case lighting.

What do you guys think?

disnemar

Post by disnemar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:26 am

Hello

What about hd5850 series? Are they going to fit in this case?
Probably they are not much longer than hd4870.....

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:05 am

Judging by specs, 5850's length is the same with 4870/4890 and should be a tight fit considering that AMD has moved 2x6pin PCIE connectors to its back. Franklying speaking, I think Antec should release Solo 2 for larger VGA cards ........

Kate

Post by Kate » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Nice!

You know... I was always a big fan of ATI cards, I always used the Ati cards on my Dell, and my older computers always came with ATI cards.

Recently I was pretty much forced to get Nvidia, due to the MB I choose (790i), I cannot say that I am NOT happy with Nvidia, but life is very funny indeed... I went with 790i + nvidia cards, so I could use TH2GO with 3 monitors, then... ATI lunches a triple monitor CARD...

Well, I guess that my next purchase, I might go X58 and embrace ATI again.

:)

BTW: nice computer!

disnemar

Post by disnemar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:18 pm

loimlo wrote:Judging by specs, 5850's length is the same with 4870/4890 and should be a tight fit...
I hope so...but I can't find anybody who would support that theory... :)