Component list for my build (which micro-atx mobo?)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dek3000

Component list for my build (which micro-atx mobo?)

Post by dek3000 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:20 am

I've been lurking for some time getting info from the various threads and now I finally think I figured most of it out. However, before ordering the parts, I would love to hear your opinion on these components and whether they're going to work together. I am aiming at a relatively low-noise, cheap and small gaming system, and since I haven't build a computer since my amd "thunderous" thunderbird, I think I keep the expensive silencing parts out of the equation until I've actually heard how much noise it makes. I just want to limit the most annoying high pitched or constantly pitch changing fans in the build. As far as I can tell from the forums there's always another noise to silence. :-)
oh, and if you have a link to a (very) detailed guide to putting all the things together in a modern computer that would be splendid. :-)

Here are the parts:
Antec NSK3480 with included earthwatts power supply
Intel core 2 duo e8400 with included cooler (do anyone know of a noise test of the stock cooler?)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB
Club 3D HD 4850 Overclocked Edition (512 MB)
(it seems to have the same low-noise cooler as Powercolor PCS HD 4850 512 MB according to techpowerup, anyone owns the card and can confirm its silence-ness?)
2x2gb 4GB PC6400 DDR2-800 SDRAM (manufacturer depends on what the online shop has, but if I stick with a known brand, I guess I'm ok?)
Pioneer DVR-216DBK, SATA

Finally, I have no idea what motherboard to choose. What would be suitable for these components and the earlier mentioned aim?

(btw I imagine to extend its life in a few years with an upgrade to a quadcore+new graphics card and I think I'll be fine with space for only one harddrive at a time as space for it seems to be an issue.)
Last edited by dek3000 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:12 am

Check the length of the DVD drive. It can be quite tight in the upper compartment of the NSK3480. There are a few people who improved the case by cutting some routing holes, otherwise it is a bit of a pain. Eventually, I stuck most of the remainig cables into the empty floppy bay.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:38 am

Cistron, I like the hardware you picked out. Now for suggestions, and comments.

The E8400 is a pretty cool chip at stock voltage. The included OEM cooler is nothing to ooh and ahh at. Some of the Intel OEM coolers feature a copper core inside a larger heatsink of aluminum, but I guess the 45nm duals don't need all that. The OEM cooler is literally just a chunk of aluminum. Mine was much quieter than I expected. You really don't hear it at idle, unless the rest of your system is dead silent. When the CPU is under heavy load like during Prime95, Orthos, or even during gaming, the fan itself is still admirably quiet. The only thing you hear when the fan spins up is the fan motor. If you really listen, at load, you can hear the PWM fan motor going up and down, up and down, up and down.... you get the point. It's not annoying, unless you're gaming without sound at 2am in a quiet neighborhood.

I'm concerned about the video card to be honest. Aftermarket heatsinks are quite hit or miss when it comes to being better than the stock. Also, non-reference PCB boards are becoming very popular with the AT HD4850s. For most this isn't that big of a deal. For us, since we usually upgrade to more efficient heatsinks, non-reference PCB boards can often lead to a heatsinks that should fit, not fitting. It's terribly annoying. Go for that card you listed as long as it has the reference PCB design so you can get yourself a nice new GPU cooler in case the factory one is too loud, doesn't cool well enough, or both.

As for a good mainboard, I've heard great things about the ASUS P5Q Pro. I'm a DFI guy myself, but most people aren't OCers. Gigabyte also makes good boards. If you're looking for a no-frills board with rock solid stability, Intel makes a great board too.

dek3000

Post by dek3000 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:21 am

thanks for the suggestions.

That motherboard looks nice but with the nsk3480 I think I'm limited to micro-atx motherboards.
Is there anything that should deter me from buying a cheaper intel based asus board that supports core 2 duo and quad core? I don't really know what I am missing if I don't have any extravagant upgrade plans?

maf718

Post by maf718 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 am

You probably want to be looking at boards based on the G31/EG31 chipset, Asus and Gigabyte and others will have a few options to choose from with slightly different specs. They are considered no-frills boards but that helps their relatively low power consumption. The integrated graphics is not the best but that's not a worry as you are getting a graphics card.

dek3000

Post by dek3000 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:43 pm

damn.
The Pioneer DVR-216DBK appears to be a little too long if I'm not mistaken.
6.9" deep which as I understand it is 17,5 cm is the limit according to the nsk3480 manual.
The pioneer is 18cm.
I presume it can't be forced into the spot so what is a good alternative?