laptop fan alternatives?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quikkie

laptop fan alternatives?

Post by quikkie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:52 am

I've joined the netbook/umpc/eeepc-clone bandwagon and bought myself an Acer Aspire One. The only problem I have with it is that the fan turns on at power on and never turns off, worse still is the whine that it makes.

The aspireoneusers forum has a few threads about the noise and it seems that it is hit and miss whether you get a quiet one or a noisy one, also having cracked open the case to upgrade the RAM I can't (with a clear conscience) ask the shop for an exchange.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is to ask if anyone knows of any quieter 35x35x6mm fan than the sunon GC054006VHA (maglev...) fan.

Oh and one last thing I'm trying to find a replacement that doesn't cost me 25GBP (50USD) :shock:

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:46 am

was this ever done? replacing laptop fans with quieter ones?

treker

Post by treker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:57 am

Why not just silence the fan completely and FREE with the AA1 Fan Control program. It allowed me to shut the fan off completely. The temp runs about 50-60C without the fan. With the fan running at its normal slow speed, temps were in the 45C range. Doing alot of processing, I notice at 60C the fan starts and cools it down immediately to mid 50s and then fan shuts off. If I am just surfing or typing a doc, the fan nevers comes on.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:31 am

running linux (which was pre-installed) so I'm running acer-fand. Does the same as aa1 fan control.

Haven't found a suitable replacement fan yet but I'm not looking that hard for one since discovering acer-fand

proc

Post by proc » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:55 pm

Have a look there to find instructions on how to use the fan control daemon under Linpus.

http://the.taoofmac.com/media/Acer/Aspi ... notes.html

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks proc but I already know about acerfand :)

This is me pimping SPCR and stating I use it.

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:19 pm

does that only work with the acer? or could it with others too?

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:33 am

to be safe I'd have to say that this would only work with the acer aspire one. The reason I say this is that the ACPI structure on a different laptop could be different enough that it could cause damage if you tried this script.

The script is pretty simple - it checks the temperature and adjusts an ACPI variable to turn the fan on if the temp is too high. Figuring out the right numbers to use and the right variable to use is not a trivial thing (as far as I'm aware).