New Fan Question

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

auxyone

New Fan Question

Post by auxyone » Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:32 pm

Hey

I just got 4 Panaflo FBA08A12L fans, and they have 2 pin connectors. I cut off the plastic piece that prevents me from putting it on a 3 pin connector, and (my test sample) seems to work ok. I attached it to a Zalman Fan Mate controller, and it seems to be ok there too.

Am I doing something bad? Does fitting a 2 wire/2 pin connector onto a 3 pin connector cause any long-term damage to the fan or powersupply? What is that third yellow wire on the 3 pin fans anyway? (I reck that it's a speed controller type thing..?)

Thanks in advance

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:13 pm

Nothing to worry about, that is the right way to do it :D . The yellow wire is the sensing wire which tells the motherboard how fast the fans are spinning (rpm).

Hey, how quiet are is it with your fanmate at the lowest setting (5v)? I know most say it's inaudible at about 1m, just nice to know from you too :) .

auxyone

Post by auxyone » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:30 pm

Thanks for the assurance. I'm going make a go of it and replace all of my YS Tech fans with the Panaflos (4). :D

Yeah, with the Fan Mate at the lowest setting, the fans are certainly silent at 1m. I am tempted to raise the RPMs a bit on the exhaust, however, just to insure good cooling.