PC #2 - AMD X2 @ 2.8GHz
1. Set the RAM timings to optimal. DUH! 4-4-4-12 1T vs 5-5-5-18 2T.
Worth 4 minutes and change per checkpoint on SMP.
2. Increase FSB to 215MHz, cpu now 3.0GHz, memory now DDR2-860 vs DDR800, still with tight timings.
Worth another ~minute per checkpoint on SMP.
PC 1 - E6400 - 2 sticks DDR2-800 and 2 DDR2-667, total 4GB. FSB 667 * 8 = 2.67GHz.
1. Remove and install Mushkin DDR2-800 2*2GB sticks, set memory to DDR2-800 * 7 = 2.8GHz. CPU increase appx 4%, but checkpoint intervals drop from 28+ minutes to 24+ minutes. WU completes 7 hours sooner.
Both PCs -
1. Switch from Road Runner Lite to full Road Runner. SMP upload times drop from 34+ minutes to 4+ minutes. WU completed every 2 days, so SMP runs extra 30 minutes every 2 days = 15 hours per month * 2 PCs. GPU WU uploads drop from 15 to 10 seconds. Don't blink or you'll miss it.
Failures - PC #2
1. Memory there is actuall DDR2-1066. Attempted to run FSB at 266MHz * 10 = 2.67GHz. Failed to boot with 5-5-5-18 2T timings. I was actually hoping to lower power consumption without affecting run time too much.
2. Set FSB to 250 * 12 = 3GHz again. Booted incredibly fast, then failed shortly after FAH started. 1920 points down the drain. I got greedy.