Adjustable margins on the main page to match text size

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

oldabelincoln

Adjustable margins on the main page to match text size

Post by oldabelincoln » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:32 am

My vision is not great, and I usually increase the text size on most web pages, including SPCR.

Unfortunately, the layout is such that when I do increase the text size on the home page, the light gray right hand column doesn't expand as much as the text does, and now the blue text runs over into a dark gray background to the right of the light gray column, making it more difficult to read!

Can you either have the background light gray column expand more to the right with increased text size, or simply make the right margin of the light gray go over to the infinite right?

Firefox 3.0.6, Windows XP SP2, text set to 110% normal (106 DPI) in Windows "Display Properties Settings / Advanced"

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 am

This is using Firefox 3.0.6? There's a better way to enlarge the text -- just hit CRTL and the "+" key to enlarge the text in Firefox. Both text and columns expand proportionately. Hit CTRL and "-" to reduce size.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 am

MikeC. That does not help if you want/have to use larger text always and all programs. Like the way when you do it through windows settings like the oldabe is doing.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:53 am

Actually, I just tried it the way oldabe is doing -- 100% text size in Windows -- and I don't see any problems at all, even with firefox window reduced to 1280px -- the ideal minimum size for viewing SPCR. At 1024, you have to scroll back and for a bit to see the whole screen. I don't see the blue text running into the right dark gray background until I further increase the VIEW / ZOOM in Firefox another 3 steps -- at which point the type is so big that this "m" measures 2.4 x 4.0mm on my 1920x1200 monitor. I can actually read it from at least 6' away.

What is the resolution of your monitor, oldabe? What is your monitor and video card, btw? Maybe it's not just your eyes that you are having to zoom so big?

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:01 am

Mike,

After your result, I felt I should review my usage.

I found that Internet Explorer (which I use only when I must) did NOt give the same result, which pointed at Firefox usage. A bit of experimentation showed that the cuprit was an old version of a Firefox plugin, one that is not related to text size.

I uninstalled it and the problem went away, and stayed away after installing the latest version of the plug-in.

For the record, I run 1280x1024 on a 19" Trinitron, and I use CTRL-scroll wheel to change text size.

Thanks for the assistance.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 am

Great that it was resolved. :)