As low possible wattage PC(AMD X2 ****E CPU)

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

Waqas

As low possible wattage PC(AMD X2 ****E CPU)

Post by Waqas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi. New to the forums. Found you lot after seraching for a Hipro 255W PSU(google) and found that you had a green section in the forums

Well, basically I am wanting a PC that will output as low as possible. I am not a gamer(well very light internet gaming-(the sort of games sites that you use in school)What I do require is a dual core processor. I have used single core CPU's in the past and lets just say I wasn't amused!

I dont mind basing the PC build around an X2 4850E or X2 5050E CPU(BTW is it better for me to get an X2 5050E if I dont intend to overclock?)

Basically, what I think so far is to get:
An AMD X2 4850E or X25050E
Motherboard: Im not really sure if I should get a 780G, 690G or anything else-I want as low power as possible
A slim micro ATX case
A Fortron FSP-250-60GHT PSU-to fit in Micro ATX case
4GB DDR2(Just because DDR2 is so cheap at the moment. I intend to use a 32 bit OS and not intending to get high speed RAM)
A 250GB 2.5 SATA HDD(Which Brand-which model?)
DVD RW-Would the PC use less power if I buy an external one?If not which one uses the least power?
Monitor-19" but which one uses the least power?
Anything else I have missed out?

Basically, I am trying to save as much possible on bills( I know to save money on bills, I shouldn't even use the PC but I love my computers :D )
Last edited by Waqas on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waqas

Response?

Post by Waqas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:12 am

bump-or should this not be in this forum?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:28 am

First of all,

Welcome to SPCR!

Second, well, I guess you'd receive more feedback in the System Advice / Troubleshooting section, not that this is in the wrong place though seeing as though you want the lowest power consumption possible.

Regarding the CPU, both are fine choices. Go with the cheapest I guess and underclock/undervolt it. There are many success stories around here.
For the motherboard take a look at the 740G chipset, it's a die-shrink of the 690G so it's more power efficient. Unless of course, you require the full power of the 780G chipset (HD video and light gaming). Take a look for yourself.
As for the HDD, you could base your opinion on this 500GB head to head review.

You could always take a look into the dual-core Atom 330. For light usage it could do just fine and it'll consume less power. That or a laptop. Connect it to an external monitor, mouse and keyboard and you're set. Problem is finding a real silent laptop eh :lol:

I'm not much help though ;)

Waqas

Post by Waqas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Regarding the CPU, both are fine choices. Go with the cheapest I guess and underclock/undervolt it. There are many success stories around here.
For the motherboard take a look at the 740G chipset, it's a die-shrink of the 690G so it's more power efficient.
Thanks. That was of some help. I was debating on what motherboard to get and seeing as a 740G chipset motherboard uses the absolute least power then I might just get this Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H motherboard
As for the HDD, you could base your opinion on this 500GB head to head review.
Thanks for that. I think I might just get that Seagate one
You could always take a look into the dual-core Atom 330.For light usage it could do just fine and it'll consume less power

Too slow for me. Ive never liked single core CPU's
I'm not much help though ;)
You've helped me quite a bit as I was most worried about the motherboard seeing as I have already found the most efficient PSU(for me)

Hmm. It seems I cant post links until I have three posts

EDIT: I can now. Now words are hyperlinked

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:40 am

For monitor power consumption take a look at Prad's reviews. 19" monitors aren't very common now though.

Waqas

19" Monitor

Post by Waqas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for that. I was looking for 19" widescreen monitors anyway as I dont need anything bigger

Waqas

Bump

Post by Waqas » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 am

Could someone please tell me about the external DVD RW and about what 4GB RAM uses the least power.-Am I right that all DDR2 RAM's at 1.8V use less power than ones @ higher voltage. Im not looking for anything fancy

QuietOC

Re: Bump

Post by QuietOC » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:58 am

Waqas wrote:Could someone please tell me about the external DVD RW and about what 4GB RAM uses the least power.-Am I right that all DDR2 RAM's at 1.8V use less power than ones @ higher voltage. Im not looking for anything fancy
Yes, the external DVD burner will use less power if you keep it unplugged. I found an open box 5.25" USB/IDE enclosure for really cheap.

2GB DDR2 800 1.8V DIMMs only add a Watt or so at idle. I haven't seen power comparisons of DIMMs, but newer higher density chips should use less power. And, power scales with voltage squared so the overclocked/overvolted DIMMs are not recommended. Some motherboards can run DIMMs below 1.8V, but not many without real hardware modification.

The "G2" stepping AMD CPUs seem be the lowest power. The best chips are most likely sold with both high clockspeed and low TDP. Those are the 2.6GHz 45W 5050e, the 2.9GHz 65W 5600+, and the 3.1GHz 89W 6000+. Also I should mention the 2.8GHz 65W 5400 Black Edition, and I personally have a $55 3.0GHz 89W 5800+ coming. The $39.50 X2 4400+ might be just as good.

FWIW: the single core uses even less power (I like my $20 Sempron LE-1250.) The Sempron is much faster than Atom 330.

Waqas

Post by Waqas » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 am

Thank you for that reply. I think Ill get the X2 5050E and external DVD RW. Single core for me is just TOO slow