Coolest, Speedstep-enabled replacement for Celeron M?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

miggy

Coolest, Speedstep-enabled replacement for Celeron M?

Post by miggy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi.

Celeron M CPUs don't include Intel Speedstep technology, so they operate at maximum voltage and maximum frequency. I'd like to replace Celeron M 440 (uFC-PGA package) for something COOLER to make the computer less noisy. Which Speedstep-enabled CPU should I buy (Core Solo - T1300/T1350/T1400, Core Duo - T2x00, Core 2 Duo - T7x00, Pentium Dual Core - T2080/T2060)?
Intel claims that the TDP in nearly all non-ULV mobile CPUs is 31W (or 37W in fastest C2D models), but is that true that all the CPUs are equal in terms of heat generation? Especially when undervolted/underclocked (Speedstepped)?
The performance doesn't matter at all, this notebook will be used as a "network appliance" in kitchen (basic browsing) and as a basic movie player (non-HD movies). I may consider using CrystalCPUID or something similiar to underclock/undervolt the CPU permanently (on Celeron M it's impossible!).

Thanks in advance.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:28 pm

First of all you should find out which models that actually works with your computer.
Your 440 runs with a 133 MHz bus speed. Can the laptop also run at 166 MHz which is used with most of the CPU's you mentioned?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 am

Hi, as you are looking for cooler/quieter I would suggest a single core rather than dual core as you say the performance doesn't really matter.
Double check (if you can) what will work in your laptop. That you have 533 FSB bus chip already means you're probably safe with, at least, any single core 533FSB CPU. Check what chipset you have, eg with CPUZ, and then check what FSB it supports.
CPU power does vary across similarly rated CPUs. My laptop had a 740 (1.73GHz) and now has 760 (2GHz) chip in it, both 27w TDP. Under full load with the 740 medium fan speed was enough to cool it, with the 760 it cycles medium -> high and back again. Also the Vcore at load is higher, although the idle (800Mhz) states are the same speed and voltage.
Identical chips can have different voltage ratings, a lower one being prefered but no way to tell till have it in your laptop.
Regards, Seb

miggy

Post by miggy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:34 am

Those models are listed in the manual - many different CPUs were installed in these notebooks (a branded Clevo barebone) so I guess it would work. Pentium Dual Cores are not mentioned, but the manual was printed back in 2007.
Cel M 440 is running 1.86GHz - 553MHz QPB (133MHz FSB), cpuz utility reports that the installed DDR2 modules are PC2-5300/DDR-667.

T2060s are the cheapest, but maybe I should go for an older Core Solo?

And by the way - I also have a Pentium M 745 (740 working with a DDR1 memory) in a ThinkPad X32 ultraportable and I manually disable the fan and manually control frequency/voltage (regardless of Speedstep). At moderate usage, when clocked 1,8GHz, the CPU temperature is 25-30 degrees Celsius higher than when running the CPU at 600MHz.

TangoGranny

Post by TangoGranny » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Man, too much work and brain trauma!

Sell the whole mess-whatever it is.
If you only need it for internet and general kitchen stuff, including TV possibly, browse around for a entry-level C2D. HP and Dell and IBM make some great warrantied laptops with T-5200/5300 series cpu's (not much L2 cache, but you don't need it). You can find one with non-integrated graphics, since you'll be in a kitchen and can plug it in, or one with IGP in a 14-15" screen size that will more than kill the bill for under $300, which if you sell whatever that is on Ebay and invest in the same amount for the difference for one of those laptops, will land you pulling probably less than $50 out of your pocket for this whole thing.

So what is better, all the work or paying $50 maybe all said and done to get something like a Dell 1420 almost new?
Or
all the bios and undervolting/research/upgrade and messing with a system and taking weeks and still maybe not getting it right?

*chuckle*
:wink: