Passive P4 Heatsink

Post by gksam » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:17 am

Looks interesting.
Now how to get one.... :)

http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/htmls/ncu1000_j.html

NeilBlanchard

I wouldn't be so sure...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:59 am

From looking at it, I would not be so sure that this one will work very well. The thinness of the two vertical elements wouldn't seem to be able to carry much heat up to the fins. Also, they appear to be set one over the other and how are they fastened to the base? Soldered? Welded?

I'd want to see some real tests before I strapped it onto an expensive CPU!

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:34 am

Looks cool, but shame when you click on English it does not have the specifications for that unit, it is for a different unit. But I think they will update soon, as some parts of the site is in English.

Check out the size relative to a motherboard here.

http://www.zdnet.co.jp/news/0212/05/njbt_09.html

This unit looks cool, and according to their test in japanese, using a p4-2.8Ghz it never exceeded 70 degrees.

So I think using a fan with the lowest airflow is more than enough for this unit. I just hope I can get hold of it.. We may have to wait a while though.[

gksam

Post by gksam » Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:54 am

Wow. is that 70 degrees celsius? or farenheit?

Looks cool though :)
ez2remember wrote:This unit looks cool, and according to their test in japanese, using a p4-2.8Ghz it never exceeded 70 degrees.
[

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:28 pm

The height makes this giant HS unusable in a normal case. Can you imaging the levered force on the motherboard!!?

Think 5V Panaflo or similar + large efficient HS = inaudible decent cooling for most CPU under most conditions. Otherwise, it's a holy grail search. What's the point, unless you like never ending problems?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:10 pm

MikeC wrote:The height makes this giant HS unusable in a normal case. Can you imaging the levered force on the motherboard!!?

Think 5V Panaflo or similar + large efficient HS = inaudible decent cooling for most CPU under most conditions. Otherwise, it's a holy grail search. What's the point, unless you like never ending problems?
I honestly think from the angle we see it, it is bigger than what it actually is. I think it will fit in a midi or full tower atx case. I was just estimating from the picture it would be approx one and half times bigger than a inserted AGP or PCI card. Which will fit easily in my midi ATX case.

I think there is a interest because the fact that it can passively cool a P4-2.8Ghz which is amazing to say the least. Remember heatsinks could not even cool passively cool a 500mhz processors (apart from VIA CPU'S). Imagine the potential of it, even a fan with 5cfm is more than enough.

2v panaflo here we come :)

I think we need to setup something like the AA for silence :wink:. It's becoming too addictive..

hyum

Post by hyum » Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:26 pm

From looking at it, I would not be so sure that this one will work very well. The thinness of the two vertical elements wouldn't seem to be able to carry much heat up to the fins. Also, they appear to be set one over the other and how are they fastened to the base? Soldered? Welded?
expensive CPU!
From the website, it looks like it's using capillary heat-pipe technology.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:57 pm

we need to setup something like the AA for silence . It's becoming too addictive..
Hey, where is this?! Isn't this Quietaholics Anonymous?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:17 pm

MikeC wrote:
we need to setup something like the AA for silence . It's becoming too addictive..
Hey, where is this?! Isn't this Quietaholics Anonymous?
Hello, my name is Ralf and my computer is too loud....

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:31 pm

LOL, My name is Michael and I am a Quietholic :oops:

LMAO

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:46 pm

hahaha... man i just couldn't stop laughing after i saw the heatsink on one of the guy's hand. jesus... thing's a monstrocity!! where will we stop?

i think i'll be better off making a commercialized heatsink that fits in like legos so we can make one as big as we can in the limited space we have... hey that's not a bad idea!! :wink:

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:44 pm

If they'd posed a little King Kong doll on top of it it would have looked perfect.