Silencing the Matrox P750

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vincent231

Silencing the Matrox P750

Post by Vincent231 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:39 pm

Hello,

I just installed the Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu on my new P4 2.4c (on an Abit IC7-G motherboard) along with a Zalman NB32J Northbridge cooler, and I realize that the fan on my Matrox P750 is what's causing all the noise in the system. When I boot without the video card, the case is nice and quiet, especially with the Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu adjusted to minimum fan speed (~1430 rpm). But this darned Matrox fan (the same one that's on the Parhelia) is just too loud. It's high pitched, and it vibrates... awful. Any thoughts on what I might use to silence this thing? Matrox of course says that removing the fan voids the warranty. But my sanity is at stake. Ideally, I'd like a passive solution, but I don't want to damage the card, either.

Would the new 80mm Verax G02 VGA-Cooler be a good solution?

I think the ZM80A-HP is probably overkill... I'm using the card for video & photo editing, not 3D rendering!

You can see the stock fan right here:
http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003 ... dex.x?pg=2

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

fras

Post by fras » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:30 am

one of these might be an option:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnpsvga2.htm
I read in an article somewhere where a guy ran a Geforce 4 fanless with one, he said it ran hot but ok. Looking at the size of the stock heatsink and fan on your card personally I wouldn't have any worries trying it.
Also as a side note I've not used this partuclar product before but I have used the zalman supplied thermal epoxy, it's very strong so you'll have no worries :)

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:23 am

I can't see any heatsink with fins less than 1/4-1/2" as being of any value, especially something that seems to be totally flat like the Verax one.

How big is the actual GPU?

Vincent231

Post by Vincent231 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:03 am

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the GPU as it's currently hidden behind the stock fan. I think I may go for the Zalman ZM80C after all. It's less expensive than the Verax. And, from what I gather, the P750 runs quite a bit cooler than the Parhelia, so the ZM80C without the optional fan should do the trick. I don't do much 3D work and I'm not overclocking the card, but I run multiple monitors at very high refresh rates and I use gigabit colour -- I want the P750 to be silent while remaining safely within its normal operating temperatures.

Vincent231

Post by Vincent231 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:06 pm

A quick note to say the Zalman ZM80C is working nicely on my P750. I found the installation quite involved; the mounting holes on either side of the GPU were too close together to connect the small front GPU heatsink using the regular Zalman spring brackets. I had to use some extra parts that came with the unit to create a bit of an angle for the spring brackets. It's difficult to describe, so I'll post pics when I get the film developed (no digicam yet.) To the touch, the front of the ZM80C is slightly warmer than the back, but the heatpipe does work and it does manage to transfer some heat to the other side of the video card. All in all, the ZM80C is barely lukewarm. Definately no need for the optional fan. And my case is much quieter now.

For the record, my P750 GPU measures 28 X 28mm, and is marked with the following info:

Matrox
Parhelia-LX
SD-A1
KF712-000
S1S-325-00

Out of curiosity, I removed the stock P750 fan from the plastic heatsink and it appears to be the same as that used on the Parhelia -- peeling off the blue "Matrox" sticker reveals the Parhelia logo. Adhered to the back of the fan is another sticker with the following info:

Colorful
CF-12410B
DC 12V Max 0.13A
Ball Bearing
Made in China

My feeling is that while it may provide proper cooling for the Parhelia, this fan is overkill on the P750 which runs much cooler; Matrox opted for active cooling on the P750 (the P650 is passive), but they could have used a quieter fan than this whiny little Parhelia monster.