Zalman Reserator 1 V2 + GTX 295

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nzone

Zalman Reserator 1 V2 + GTX 295

Post by nzone » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:12 am

Will the Reserator 1 V2 capable of cooling the GTX 295? The TDP for GTX 295 is roughly 290 watts. I'm sure a 14 pounds block of aluminum can cope with 290 watts...but who knows I may be way off.

NOTE: I would replace the pump. I need a DC pump that can be powered by the PC. Also, I will not be overclocking or trying to get extreme low temperature.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:24 pm

hardly any temperature difference has been noticed by a replace in pump. this might be only for under 200 watt setups however.

Yes, there is no question that it could cool this card. however, there's also a cpu to cool. Can it do it all? not sure if it can cool 300 watts. (I am going to doubt the vid card takes up all those watts in reality.)

I am guess so, if I had to guess. It works so well for me, its the best.

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 pm

I read somewhere that the Reserator can continuously dissipate 150W of Heat.
My System has a maximum powerconsumption of 200W (full load on all components). But the Reserator had no problem to cool it even when I played 3D Stuff for 16+ Hours (at about 150W).

That means if you plan to use it with a Hardcore Gaming Rig and are a hardcore gamer who Will play Crysis continuously for 16 Hours on highest settings, you may overheat your System.

The Reserator has the big advantage of the Huge Reservoir. So it will take some time before the Water is really hot. So it's not recommended to use the Reserator for a +200W System (components in the Loop) that is doing Folding at home 24/7.
I think the reserator is perfect for HTPCs and non continuos load systems.

Greetz Audiodude

nzone

Post by nzone » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:25 pm

I'm not replacing the pump for performance reason, but just for convenience.

This is a hardcore gaming rig, oracle database server, and work :). I need it to be silent as possible since I am using the computer into the midnight hour. The GTX 295 noise is bearable but I rather not hear it whining. This user has two reserator 1 V2 connected them up serially to cool Q9450 (extremely overclock) and 2 x 1950Pro, and he said the reserators get warmed but stable. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpo ... stcount=10 I'm probably thinking along this line to include the CPU and NB/SB in the loop.

At any rate, at load, the GTX 295 consumes 214.1 watts by itself. Crysis will probably push close to 289 watts TDP. Source: http://xbitlabs.com/articles/video/disp ... html#sect0

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 pm

If you use 2 Reserators in line or just use two loops for CPU and Graphics, it should work out o.k. I wouldn't recommend a single Reserator in your case!

It might be a better solution to use a heating radiator! Should be cheaper and has much more convection area.

Greetz Audiodude

ps. the good thing about the Reserators and Big Radiators is their sheer amount of Water wich helps alot to get steady Water Temps. As long as you have some idle time in betwheen, the System will cool down very quickly and give you headroom again.

nzone

Post by nzone » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:32 am

"With quad core q9650 cpu/4870x2 gpu, the cpu went to 90 degrees (overtemp alarm) in only 1 hour of *nearly idle* cpu activity. Cooling just the Danger Den 4870x2 alone, the gpu temp went to 80 degrees after a 4 hour Stalker Clear Sky mad session (note: max detail 1900x1200 so I was rocking the card), in December in Northern Virginia USA household winter ambient temp."

This guy could cool the ATI 4870x2 with a single Res 1 V2. If it could cool this hot baby, no doubt it will cool a cooler GTX 295. By having said that, I don't know if it will be cost effective to buy 2 Res 1 V2s + replacement pump (~$560) or 1 Reserator XT + replacing 140mm with Noctua 120mm 800rpm (~$425). Value wise, XT is the better option and with a Noctua 120mm 800rpm fan it should be silent (under 20db). It will also go well with my Zalman GT1000 case.

There is also a thought of going "custom". This option I would need to make some concessions. I need to remove the hard drive cage and the 5.25" drive cage. It will fit 2 360 radiators, pump, and reservoir. The internal custom watercooling for this case would look nice. But 4-6 Noctua 120mm 800rpm may be too noisy in comparison to XT w/120 Noctua 120mm 800rpm.

This is my first attempt watercooling so I want to make it right and an informed decision. :)

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:39 am

I would use a 1200rpm fan rather than an 800rpm one if I was going to replace the XT's normal fan, because the XT includes a fan controller and low-rpm fans can have problems at lower voltages. I have a Reserator (the first one) and it's still going strong after several years.

For my next system I'm planning on aircooling, but if I can't get it quiet I'll be looking at a Reserator XT I think. :)

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:46 am

On The Noctua Homepage it says:
Which fan is right for me?
NF-S12 / NF-P12
With the NF-S12 and NF-P12, Noctua provides two premium-class fans which have been optimized for specific fields of application. Choosing the appropriate model can therefore help you to obtain even better results. Nevertheless, both the NF-S12 and NF-P12 achieve good results in virtually all typical applications. So in case you aren't sure which of the two fans is right for you: Don't worry, you can't go wrong with either of the two!

We principally recommend the NF-S12 for the following applications:

* Case ventilation (with the exception of very restrictive fan grills, filters or significant obstruction to airflow)
* CPU coolers with wide fin-spacing
* Water-cooling radiators with wide fin-spacing
* All applications where minimum noise emission has first priority

We principally recommend the NF-P12 for the following applications:

* CPU coolers with tight fin-spacing
* Water-cooling radiators with tight fin-spacing
* Power supplies
* Storage solutions
* Cases with very restrictive fan grills and filters
* All applications with significant obstruction to airflow

so you have to buy the right radiator to go with the NF-S12-800!

I wouldn't take the Risk and go for a NF-P12 to be on the Safe side!

The S series fans have a really poor effficiency when they have to work against any resistence like Radiators. Go for the P Series fans and get them regulated by a fan controller.

Greetz Audiodude

nzone

Post by nzone » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Oh brother! After seeing this setup I'm drooling for custom :shock:

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/ ... d-log.html

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:16 pm

the reserator can crank out way more than 150Watts

it is only when they made res2 and XT that they rated them....

they underrated their cooling so you would buy the newer models. zalman a month ago told me the tower does the best job and handles much more heat and is built well and simply.

it blows past 200 watts easily as that is what i used to feed it

nzone

Post by nzone » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:59 am

@~El~Jefe~

Do you know if the quick connect can be replaced? I am wonder if the Koolance Quick Connect will fit in the Zalman's fitment. The reason for this is that I want to use the more standard tubing.

There is no doubt, I think the Res 1 v2 can cool 300-watts easily proven by that user who used it to cool the ATI 4870x2 (260+watts on avg load).

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:21 am

You can Use Tygon R3603 (7/16" / 11,2mm OD) tubing with the standard Zalman fittings and tube clamps.

That's what I did and I am very Happy with that.

Greetz Audiodude

ps. I very much doubt that The Reserator can handle 300W full load 24/7 during a hot summer with ambient temp over 35°C with no Aircondition...

But as long as the system idles every now and then, it should be no problem.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:05 am

With a Zalman ZM-RF1 fan for use when the temperature goes high, there should be no problem.

Cheers
Olle

nzone

Abandoning external rad...

Post by nzone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:14 am

Since this is my first water cooling, mind as well as go for the extreme...the whole 9 yards.

The radiator will be two XSPC RX360s. It is sub 8 FPI (Fin Per Inch), and it is ideal for very low air flow fans such as those Noctua 500-RPM. These two 360 rads will be installed internally into the Zalman GT-1000 case. I will be doing modding to the $399 case that is strikingly good looking...hmm into a pile of aluminum junks? :D For the big cutting job, to make fins like those on the side of the Reserator XT, I'm thinking outsourcing for the water jet cutting service. I'm not sure how much they would charge for the job. Otherwise, a manual labor with the Dremel.

Just ordered the two rads and some 2mm aluminum panel to do a custom wire management. No To-Do list yet, but before start anything the first step is to move components from GT1000 over to the P180. :)

That's it for now.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:46 pm

what are good sources of aluminum waterblocks for higher end vid cards?

zalman uses all aluminum

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:05 pm

nzone wrote:@~El~Jefe~

Do you know if the quick connect can be replaced? I am wonder if the Koolance Quick Connect will fit in the Zalman's fitment. The reason for this is that I want to use the more standard tubing.

There is no doubt, I think the Res 1 v2 can cool 300-watts easily proven by that user who used it to cool the ATI 4870x2 (260+watts on avg load).
I dont know as mine has screw on connect, no quick. zalman techs can answer that fast.

nzone

Monsta is coming...

Post by nzone » Tue May 12, 2009 6:54 am

This monsta will arrive by the Fedex guy today. It will be reside inside the Zalman GT1000 case.
http://www.feser-one.com/site/popup_image2.php?pID=322

These three super quiet fans will be on the monsta for push-configuration.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image ... 33c165s358

And one of this for exhaust, kind of acting like pull-configuration.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image ... 33c165s358

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue May 12, 2009 8:29 am

thats a big honkin radiator. Looks like it could cool several hundred watts no problem.

Makes me consider doing something like that vs reserator1. Ilove my res1, but, I could slap on some heavy nvidia card if I had that vs upper midrange graphics always.

nzone

Post by nzone » Wed May 13, 2009 9:13 am

Got the radiator. It is freaking huge. 18.75"x5.85"x4.10" (LxWxH). According to the guys at Feser, this thing is capable of dissipating 2000 watts of heat. The Noiseblocker fan looks amazing, best looking fans I've seen.

Need some more stuffs in before starting to chop GT1000 :)