replacement options for an older pc w\ BESTEC mATX PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mr. nawtynuff

replacement options for an older pc w\ BESTEC mATX PSU

Post by mr. nawtynuff » Fri May 01, 2009 2:48 am

I have coped w\ the high pitched whine that I believe is emanating from the old PSU that originally came w\ pc when I bought it many years ago. While the whine is subtle, my hearing is rather sensitive to the particular frequency it emits and there have been too many times that my pc has sent me to bed w\ a migraine headache. While upgrading my pc is in the future it's prolly most likely going to be more 'later' than anytime 'sooner'. Currently my pc is a hp pavilion 762c, running WinXP Pro, on a Pentium P4 2.26Ghz processor, with 1GB of RAM. The PSU is a BESTEC ATX-1956D rated @ 200W. I really want to remove the OEM PSU & install a decent replacement that operates w\ a low noise output and features some type of silent technology and will easily fit in the small mATX PSU footprint. I really have tried doing the homework myself, however once I discovered the power supply has the PS3 Micro ATX size limitations; I'm at a loss to find any mATX PSU that offer any kind of silent technology. I really don't want to spend much over $60 and I really don't want to be bothersome, as I generally can manage these tasks by myself; however I could really use some insight about what I should be looking for. If any of the knowledgeable forum members here are feeling generous & can offer me some help, I'd kindly appreciate the info!
Thanks again,
-mr. nawtynuff

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 am

200W Pico PSU would be best option. Not only it has small foot print its really quiet as it doesn't have fan.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Fri May 01, 2009 7:32 am

I've personally repaired several systems with "Bestec" PSUs or your PCs sort of age. Admitedly all ATX PSUs but the PSU goes bad and blows up the motherboard!
SPCR reviewed Seasonic SFX PSU, is that the sort of thing you need?
Going to newegg and searching for "SFX" finds 4 PSUs, couldn't say how good they are, the $17-21 is cheap enough though :)
300w example
The Seasonic is likely better but more $$ if you can find one for sale.
Your PC will be under 100w load unless you have power-hungry video card.
Hope this helps, Seb

mr. nawtynuff

Post by mr. nawtynuff » Fri May 01, 2009 4:32 pm

just a minimal power consumed from my video card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420, along with a KWORLD PCI video capture card, 3 PATA HDD's, Floppy drive, 1 DVD RW drive, 6 USB ports - most being used (trackball optical mouse, external HDD, independently powered Extigy External Soundcard, Korg Midi Controller, & a HP DeskJet printer). Just to elaborate a bit further.

I'll look around Microsinner, & see if they carry any of the PSU which were mentioned. Honestly I just want a machine that doesn't distract me whenever I'm making music, or editing video, working in photoshop, or whatever the duty is being performed. I do appreciate the input guys, it is quite helpful actually. Anyone can still feel free to comment what other idea'sI might wanna try, so don't hesitate to put your two cents in. As it's all a great help for me in understanding how to keep an older system a productive workstation still.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat May 02, 2009 1:02 am

200W is too much for your system. Try to find a Seasonic SFX PSU would be a safe bet under your circumstance. Though I never use 80Plus Seasonic SS-300SFD before, non-80Plus 300SFD and 200SFD gave me a pleasant experience. After all, SFX form factor PSUs are tend to be louder than ATX counterparts. I got 300SFD at one-third price of Newegg which is a key factor for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151058

mr. nawtynuff

Post by mr. nawtynuff » Sat May 02, 2009 7:32 am

loimlo, when you say that 200W is "too much for my system." I'm not sure if it is a statement of caution, or just one of common sense. :? I only ask because in the following sentence you say "safe bet", which kinda makes me wonder if your saying if I use a PSU w\ 200W that it may damage my system; or if it's just a comment which is stating the obvious -fact that my there's nothing in my system that would require that amount of power and simply meant as wasteful and not harmful. I think that is what was meant. Especially since my current PSU is a 200W. I only ask because of the choice of words you used prompted me to want to clarify just to be certain :wink:

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat May 02, 2009 9:04 am

I am sorry to cause the misunderstanding between us. :oops:
The clear sentences should be -- Even 200W PSU is too much for your system. Trying to find a Seasonic SFX PSU would be a safe bet under your circumstance in terms of noise performance.

Btw, if you're really sensitive to sound characters, switch the fan in Seasonic's PSU may be a viable solution to you. 200SFD/300SFD inherited the Seasonic's choice of ADDA ball-bearing fan which has gentle clicking noise. Pico is the best assuming that budget is not a concern, nevertheless.

mr. nawtynuff

Post by mr. nawtynuff » Sat May 02, 2009 11:26 am

I dunno, I wouldn't say that I'm overly sensitive to sound in my immediate environment; or get easily bothered from it either. I will say I am very audibly aware of my surroundings, and surprisingly enuff I do have very good hearing - considering I've always had loud car audio systems ever since getting a drivers license, the obscenely loud & distorted bars, clubs, & parties I once frequently attended; not to mention the troubles I had as a kid w\ ear infections, having tubes placed in my ears, etc. However the oscillating pitch that comes from my pc (presumably from PSU) just becomes so overwhelming to me that I either get overly annoyed or physically ill from headaches it induced. That said, others in the room aren't irritated or even acutely aware of the slight high frequency pitch that sorta slowly shifts up and down. But for me, it is plainly heard like a ringing in my ears, that isn't even "loud" like I may have made it seem to be. All I know is it's gotta go, I've had to hear it for quite a long while now and interferes w\ creative ambitions and basic use of the pc. It's not always overwhelming & audibly noticeable to me, but most the time it is! But anyways, . . . enough about that.

A few have mentioned PSU's that are available thru online shopping, and while I don't have problems shopping online; I'm most likely gonna buy from a local retailer most likely microsinner. And unfortunately the units that have been suggested thus far are all brands not carried in their stores. So maybe some suggestions regarding PSU's found in common computer & electronics retail stores.

Which brings up, if I can find a power supply that fits, what are the important things I need for the unit to be compatible w\ my system?
Would an OCZ StealthXStream 500 Watt PSU (http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0276315) have the appropriate MOBO plugs

or

Coolmax CM-300 300 Watt mATX http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0278958

I don't understand this ATX compliance, and what my system requirements would be w\in this classification. I realize I'm like the whiny noob pester'n everybody for answers & attention. And truthfully I generally understand electronics & computers & their hardware w\o much problems, but PSU, & all the features, sizes, compatibilities all becomes quite daunting after researching a few possible interests; which lead to more researching, then the confusion returns! So please know I do appreciate those who've commented offering help & suggestions! Thank You

btw: loimlo, no worries - i didn't want to come off being snotty or a 6th grade grammar teacher trying to call you out on improper terminology regarding the topics. I just wanted to take the accidental ambiguity outta the way for better understanding. :mrgreen:

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat May 02, 2009 6:56 pm

OCZ StealthXStream looks like an ATX form factor PSU, and hence I don't think you can fit this one to your case. Sorry, no idea about Coolmax CM-300. You need to check form factor, size of PSU, first. As for motherboard plugs, be sure to get ATX 20+4 pin for you since your motherboard will most likely be 20pin only.

The sound volume of 300SFD is very low, but I could hear the clicking at midnight put on the desk. I'm fine with Seasonic SFX PSUs providing that they rest under the table.

mr. nawtynuff

Post by mr. nawtynuff » Sun May 03, 2009 9:16 am

I did finally manage to get some time to do some further investigating in my pursuit for a proper PSU replacement. The BESTEC ATX - 1956D is my pc's original psu, max output 200W, the power unit has (1) ATX connector, (1) ATX12V connector, (4) peripheral power connectors, & (1) floppy drive connector. Dimensions: 5.90"W x 3.40"H x 3.90"D.

I have found a few units that should actually fit in the cramped case, however all these units have their cooling fan located on the top of the unit, I didn't take enuff time to determine if the air from in front of the fan will be pulled into the unit or being pushed up\out. Either way, by looking at the pics below; you can see that there is prolly less than an 1/8th of an inch from the top of the computer case chassis which obviously presents another issue = obstructed airflow. I found 1 or 2 units that don't have a fan situated on the power supply's top, but these also use 80mm fans that are generally quite noisy; and while yes I could get a fanless PSU - I'm not wanting to invest that much cash in this upgrade. So the only option I'm left with is to cut away the metal chassis to free up the obstructed airflo path. Even by doing this, the plastic outer surface of the case still keeps a decent appearance. I know some of the newer pc cases are placing the PSU in the bottom of the case, or separately enclosed "partitions", so my question is how much overhead is suggested to have between the PSU's top fan and any interior case surfaces?

ImageImage

marillana

Re: replacement options for an older pc w\ BESTEC mATX PSU

Post by marillana » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Hello,

Do you still have your hp 762c (even if it is no longer working)? I am interested in purchasing that specific model.

Please advise.

Thanks!