It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi: Good Things Come in Small Packa
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11817
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://www.silentpcreview.com/zotac-gf9300itx

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi: Good Things Come in Small P
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 pm
Posts: 628
Location: Finland
MikeC wrote:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/zotac-gf9300itx
Lovely, just lovely! Excellent review!

Say Mike is there any better Mini-ITX solution than this one basing on Intel / NVIDIA? (Better meaning more bang for my buck ;) )

_________________
Fight spam! The Official Anti-Spam Thread.
Have a nice day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi: Good Things Come in Small P
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:04 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:32 am
Posts: 444
Location: SF Bay Area, California
LodeHacker wrote:
MikeC wrote:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/zotac-gf9300itx
Lovely, just lovely! Excellent review!

Say Mike is there any better Mini-ITX solution than this one basing on Intel / NVIDIA? (Better meaning more bang for my buck ;) )


There are virtually no other great mini-ITX solutions for LGA775, let alone one with onboard Nvidia graphics! :P


Last edited by shleepy on Thu May 14, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:37 pm
Posts: 139
Location: Tulsa, OK, USA
What is the target market for this product? Or maybe applications is a better term.
I recently read the review of Zotac's Ion board(s) and am confused as to where these boards are most at home. In what circumstances do the differing products excel?

With that said, these are two exciting products (9300-ITX WiFi and Ion) and another stellar review Mike!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:37 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11817
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Please give credit where it's due. Larry wrote the piece; I only did the superb editing. :wink:

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Last edited by MikeC on Thu May 14, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:37 pm
Posts: 139
Location: Tulsa, OK, USA
Okay, stellar review Larry! Way to delegate tasks Mike. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 am 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 1018
Location: Vancouver
LodeHacker wrote:
Say Mike is there any better Mini-ITX solution than this one basing on Intel / NVIDIA? (Better meaning more bang for my buck ;) )


The selection of Intel/Mini-ITX boards is scant whether they be based on nVidia or Intel chipsets. Check out what Newegg has to offer.


Meato wrote:
What is the target market for this product? Or maybe applications is a better term.


High-end/gaming as it supports 95W quad cores and a full sized PCI-E slot. It's also suited for a HTPC, but kinda overkill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:32 am
Posts: 444
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Lawrence Lee wrote:
High-end/gaming as it supports 95W quad cores and a full sized PCI-E slot. It's also suited for a HTPC, but kinda overkill.


I would argue that it's not TOO overkill. If you use the onboard video, put a TV tuner in the PCIe slot, and use a Core 2 Duo of some sort, you've got yourself a fairly efficient, very small, and very fast HTPC, with WiFi included. And for Mini-ITX, it's not too expensive, either, given the performance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: picopsu
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:16 pm
Posts: 126
I'm curious if power usage is lower with a picopsu / 12V brick combo. That's the setup that I'd expect many people to use with this, and 35W is a lot lower than 400W.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:14 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Forkbomb, New South Wales
I've been hoping for a review written for adults on this mobo for several weeks.

Thank you for addressing subjects I care about, in contrast to making me wade through pages of blinking ads peppered with a few sentences focusing on FPS in poorly coded first person shooters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: picopsu
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11817
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Worker control wrote:
I'm curious if power usage is lower with a picopsu / 12V brick combo. That's the setup that I'd expect many people to use with this, and 35W is a lot lower than 400W.

Yes. This has been well documented in the past. With a high efficiency AC/DC adapter, you might see AC power draw dropping by as much as 5W, maybe even a bit more. In our reviews, we're generally more concerned about comparability rather than absolutely lowest power -- ie, comparing this board to others in the past -- which is why we've been using the same PSU for most mobo reviews for quite a while. Not only the same model but the same exact PSU. We figure changes in this unit due to wear and tear are minimal -- the thing is only on for a few hours for each mobo test but otherwise sitting idle.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:14 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Forkbomb, New South Wales
shleepy wrote:
If you use the onboard video, put a TV tuner in the PCIe slot


If you really want to grab the low voltage/low heat brass ring, use a USB tuner- that's where I'm headed with my next HTPC build. (The Hauppage 1600 card is easily the hottest thing in my current HTPC, including the CPU)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Canada
I was honestly hoping to see more info on heatsink compatibility - I'd love to be able to see if one of these things can handle something low-power/efficient like an E5200 without a fan at all if equipped with a large enough heatsink. (hey, if my old Socket939 Athlon64 X2 can run without a fan on a good heatsink...)

Great article nonetheless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi: Good Things Come in Small P
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:52 pm
Posts: 532
LodeHacker wrote:
Excellent review!

x2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: USA
Meato wrote:
I recently read the review of Zotac's Ion board(s) and am confused as to where these boards are most at home. In what circumstances do the differing products excel?

Big advantage of Atom/Ion is that you can easily get buy a tiny CPU heatsink. If having the absolutely smallest formfactor is your goal, this or some sort of MoDT solution is your best bet.

Ion is perfectly capable of playing Blu-Ray and properly encoded H264 content. If that is all you want to do with your HTPC, you are all set. Atom, however, is fairly lacking as a CPU for normal desktop tasks. Performance of the 330 is generally only comparable to a 4 year old Pentium M, and far worse for tasks that are not multithreaded. If you want to take advantage of the PC aspects of HTPC, Ion may be a bit lacking. For me the biggest issue is streaming media. I think this is far more important than Blu-Ray performance (I'd rather have a standalone player and avoid all the software issues caused by DRM). It is still unknown how well Ion can handle streaming media, but it is unlikely the answer will be better than barely adequate. If you are doing a lot of web-based stuff on your HTPC, 35W Celeron + 9300 will likely kick the ass of Ion. 45W X2 + 8200 would probably be even better, but that Zotac board isn't quite as full featured as the Intel ones (it is cheaper though).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 pm 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:10 pm
Posts: 121
Location: Columbus, Ohio
I agree ... great article on this mini-ITX compared to the others
I've found.

I'm thinking that in a larger mini-ITX case (Sugo SG05?) with a
picoPSU (no power supply inside the case) you could possibly put one of
several substantial heat sinks in there. In another thread, a poster put
this board in a shorter mini-ITX case and, by using a picoPSU, fit a
Thermalright XP-90 in there. (He had to cut a little bit off the
heatsink base to avoid interference with those nearby capacitors).

_________________
E7500, Zotac GF9300-I-E, Lian-Li Q03b, picoPSU-150-XT, 4GB DDR2-800, 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD, 500GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar, XUbuntu 13.10 64-bit
My blog ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:32 am
Posts: 444
Location: SF Bay Area, California
b3nbranch wrote:
I agree ... great article on this mini-ITX compared to the others
I've found.

I'm thinking that in a larger mini-ITX case (Sugo SG05?) with a
picoPSU (no power supply inside the case) you could possibly put one of
several substantial heat sinks in there. In another thread, a poster put
this board in a shorter mini-ITX case and, by using a picoPSU, fit a
Thermalright XP-90 in there. (He had to cut a little bit off the
heatsink base to avoid interference with those nearby capacitors).


A Shuriken fits in the SG05 without even taking out the standard PSU, and I think the XP-90 might, as well. The other limiting factor in that particular case would be on the side of the HDD bracket, since the heatsink would most likely reach that side, as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
Quote:
This is even more frugal when you consider that we've seen USB 802.11g adapters burning up 10~15W.


Considering USB 1.1/2.0 only supplies 2.5W per port, I'd like to see that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:25 pm 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:35 am
Posts: 534
Location: Chicago, Ill., USA
Maybe I missed it, but what was the state of the WiFi when you took the idle power reading? Just wondering how many watts the wireless circuit needs.

_________________
my computers (updated December, 2007)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
matt_garman wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but what was the state of the WiFi when you took the idle power reading? Just wondering how many watts the wireless circuit needs.


You missed it. Bottom of page five. The absolute maximum it can pull is 5W anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Canada
Monkeh16 wrote:
matt_garman wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but what was the state of the WiFi when you took the idle power reading? Just wondering how many watts the wireless circuit needs.


You missed it. Bottom of page five. The absolute maximum it can pull is 5W anyway.

Actually, USB devices can request more power from the motherboard, if the motherboard is willing to dish more. This is how most cell phone USB chargers work. (otherwise, yes, you're correct, 5W maximum)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 379
Location: maine
I go mini-itx next :)
Maybe not this board, but it is meeting my simple goals. I wonder what editing does, and the tests in review, if that was just playback, 68% cpu for a vc-1 vid is a problem, I noticed the others are using way too much as well. Indicates lack of integrated graphics in thier integrated graphics...

all my systems with a vid card, use 10-12% cpu in playback, and more imprtantly (to me) I just got an editor not long ago, to use more than 60% cpu and 512mb memory to encode. so software is almost here, and this mini-itx isn't...

I don't like the graphics for this mini-itx. thanks for review.

_________________
DSFg$57%udRTYnh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
LiquidRain wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:
matt_garman wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but what was the state of the WiFi when you took the idle power reading? Just wondering how many watts the wireless circuit needs.


You missed it. Bottom of page five. The absolute maximum it can pull is 5W anyway.

Actually, USB devices can request more power from the motherboard, if the motherboard is willing to dish more. This is how most cell phone USB chargers work. (otherwise, yes, you're correct, 5W maximum)


And still, they can only pull 7.5W from a single port, and most host controllers don't support that. Any wireless card which pulls 15W is either very, very poorly designed, or is putting out so much power it's breaking every law on radiated emissions I know of. And would need a hell of a heatsink. And would still require two ports.

E: Even the ICH10 doesn't appear to support battery charging. If it does they don't say so in any datasheets.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:16 am
Posts: 777
Location: canberra, australia
this looks good.. can anyone tell me what is the max resolution from that DVI? would it drive a dell 30" at 2560x1600 ok?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:48 pm
Posts: 113
ironically, i would've liked to see a tv-out. there are some out there still trying to run an htpc or small file server on a 'normal' tv.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 13
shleepy wrote:
b3nbranch wrote:
I agree ... great article on this mini-ITX compared to the others
I've found.

I'm thinking that in a larger mini-ITX case (Sugo SG05?) with a
picoPSU (no power supply inside the case) you could possibly put one of
several substantial heat sinks in there. In another thread, a poster put
this board in a shorter mini-ITX case and, by using a picoPSU, fit a
Thermalright XP-90 in there. (He had to cut a little bit off the
heatsink base to avoid interference with those nearby capacitors).


A Shuriken fits in the SG05 without even taking out the standard PSU, and I think the XP-90 might, as well. The other limiting factor in that particular case would be on the side of the HDD bracket, since the heatsink would most likely reach that side, as well.
A geminii fits in the SG05, that's no the s type, though that also fits. The geminii can passively cool a quad core with just the psu fan taking the hot air out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:03 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Zotac is definitely making some nice Mini-ITX boards. If this board had two gigabit ethernet ports it would be perfect for making an Untangle box. As it is, you still have to spend money for a PCI Express to gigabit NIC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 5:46 am
Posts: 12
Location: noisy place
cant wait to try it out on my next mini-itx project, at least it has dvi unlike some boards i know -_-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:14 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Forkbomb, New South Wales
qdemn7 wrote:
Zotac is definitely making some nice Mini-ITX boards. If this board had two gigabit ethernet ports it would be perfect for making an Untangle box. As it is, you still have to spend money for a PCI Express to gigabit NIC.


SuperMicro has announced a couple of Atom based (w/PCIe 8x slots) server boards recently, one of them with 2 ethernet ports. No word on availability however. I'm drooling at the prospect of sticking a 4x SAS cage & LP RAID card into a small box some time soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: USA
Ant6n wrote:
ironically, i would've liked to see a tv-out. there are some out there still trying to run an htpc or small file server on a 'normal' tv.

But you don't need Ion for your normal TV. Even Atom alone, with no video acceleration, can handle standard def video. Search around and you will find existing Atom boards with s-video out.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dinad578 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group